Why does society make me feel bad for having dating preferences?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Nobody cares about random dating preferences, unless they have a friend who moans about being single but is weirdly picky.

When people are frustrated by preferences, its not because -you- have a preference, it's because enough people share your preference that it starts creating social discord. And then people naturally want to push back against that bias, because either they or some people they know are being hurt by the societal bias, or because they simply recognize that if most people want partners, people need to pair up not sit around all waiting for the same group of people.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Society is still highly critical and controlling of woman. Our bodies, faces, sexual activities, partner preferences. It's gotten to a point where even woman will judge other woman. However, never let other people decide shit for you. You know what you want so go for it. People will find any reason to judge because they're bored so just tell them to fuck off ;) you do you, girl

2|2
    1|2
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 39

• Because society has spent a ton of time telling people that everyone is okay and fine the way they are. It's tough to tell someone that they are perfect the way they are, and then say that they aren't your type. Kind of a conflicting message.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think this is where being overly militant about inclusion is a detriment to society. You shouldn't feel bad for liking what you like when it is a personal relationship. There is a difference between physical preferences when dating than when hiring someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Society" does not exist-- society is nothing but a conglomeration of millions of individuals. So if "society" is making you feel a certain way about a certain thing, it's because individual people are saying those things. Just food for thought.

Anyway, mostly because they're insecure themselves. I have been called names for having preferences too of attraction and dating. People are idiots, apparently. That's the only real answer to your question.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a bit overdone but screw what others think. As long as you get what you want from it and that makes you happy then I see no issue in having preferences. I'm from a country with a multicultural background but from a young age I realised I was only into Chinese girls. I know it sound like I'm ab asshole but most my uncles are in interracial marraiges. Not sure if I'm just racist or what but in your case as long as your happy then keep your preferences

0|0
    0|0
  • Every person is part of society. Since there is wide array of personality's. It's rather unlikely the consensus is perfectly in line with anyone individual. Rather it's more good enough for most people

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, I can almost guarantee that it's the women that are doing this, because the only men that would care about your dating preferences are the ones you wouldn't date and why would you care about the opinions of those men anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's your right to choose to whom u date with... why u bothering others on what u like... be happy and do what u like Society will never be happy whstever u do

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we live in a society of judgmental jerks that like to put other people down to feel superior.

1|0
    0|0
  • It can, best to be with someone who is someone you’re proud of

1|0
    0|0
  • Everybody wants to be accepted for who they are without having to change but everyone wants somebody else to change for them

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends how shallow they are and if they’re high standards based on how you look

0|0
    0|0
  • Because many people still think how girl should date by their way

0|0
    0|0
  • Haters got to hate. Don't listen to them. Go with your preference.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having dating preferences is shallow

0|0
    1|1
  • I highly doubt society cares about who you date.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ignore society and follow your heart.

0|1
    0|0
  • Society is retarded

1|0
    0|0
  • Because you let it make you feel bad

0|0
    0|0
  • What you mean?

1|0
    0|0
  • Because you let it happen

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 7

• i get called shallow all the time just because i have preferences or certain things i find attractive all the time. but i dont think it really matters because i have high expectation for all aspects of the person i date for their appearance, personality, moral character, work ethic... I dont think it really matter what society thinks.

0|0
    0|0
  • It probably depends on what your dating preferences are, and whether they carry over into other aspects of life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Society makes a lot of people feel bad for a lot of things.

0|3
    0|0
  • Probably one or more person includes that category u've excluded.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because society is judgmental, terribly so. Unfortunately.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it’s 2018 The year of ‘I’m offended.’ 🙄

1|0
    0|0
  • They settled for less.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes