Can my girlfriend legally watch my child while I’m at work?

We have 50/50 timesharing custody. I am on a temporary shift that’s 10 pm- 7 am. My girlfriend lives with me. My daughter is 2 years old. She watches her while I sleep for like 6 hours and when I am gone to work at night which my daughter is asleep by 7-8 pm every night. So really she’s asleep majority of the time under her care.

My ex is trying to make things difficult saying she has first right of refusal of who can watch our daughter. She doesn’t want my “live in girlfriend” watching her. She’s saying it’s inappropriate. She is wanting to take it to court to try and get full custody cause my girlfriend watches her at night. But me, my girlfriend, and my daughter all live in the same home so it’s convenient for me and my daughter.

My girlfriend poses no threat or danger to our daughter. My ex has already dogged me and my girlfriend out in messages and my girlfriend hasn’t done anything at all to her. She emails me every night like 10 messages after midnight while at work insulting me and being in old problems we used to have in our relationship.

Regardless of who the daycare provider is my girlfriend is still going to be around. I feel like she should have no say so in my time sharing with my daughter. The divorce papers even say neither party is allowed to contact the daycare provider we choose unless it’s an emergency concerning the child. Isn’t it in the best interest of the child to not be woken up at night every night to be dropped off at her house after 9 pm every night? Seems like she’s just jealous and doesn’t want my girlfriend watching her. I think she’s still hung up on me and is upset that I’ve moved on to someone a lot better than her.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Why don't you encourage your girlfriend to take a babysitting course and become certified (CPR etc.) And "hire" her as a provider? Then, she would be treated just like any other childcare provider.

• She is CPR certified.

• Well it’s expired but she has been certified before

• So get her set up as a childcare provider, and your ex has nothing to say. You could even say that you are paying her.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would think so. I mea a 15 year old babysitter could