How much is too large of an age difference?

If both people in the relationship are of legal age and consenting to the relationship, how large does the difference have to be before you see a problem with it?
  • 1-3 years
    Vote A
  • 4-5 years
    Vote B
  • 6-7 years
    Vote C
  • 8-10 years
    Vote D
  • 11-15 years
    Vote E
  • 16-20 years
    Vote F
  • Age is irrelevant
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think "too large" really only applies when one or both parties involved are underage.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Age is irrelevant... when both people are over 18.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• If both are of legal age, it just depends on the two People involved. Biological age and maturity don't always correspond to chronological age.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that depends on the ages. At 18 and 28, 10 years is a huge difference. At 58 and 68, not so much.

My opinion would be that at 18 any more than 3 years older is too much, at 21 probably 5 years, but after 30 even 10 years difference is within reason.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks! The main reason I asked is because I am talking to a girl 7 years younger than me. She clearly wants to date but is underage, I think the age difference could work otherwise though.

• Show All
    • If you're thinking about dating a 15 year old and your age on here is right (22), I think you should check the laws in Canada before even thinking about that.

I think in a lot of places having sexual interaction with someone under 18 when you're more than maybe 3 years older is illegal (statutory rape) and could put you in jail and/or on a registered sex offender list for the rest of your life. So I'd check the Canadian laws on that before doing anything at all with her.

My numbers weren't based directly on math but more on maturity level. I think people mature pretty quickly in the 15 - 25 age range so a few years difference there is a lot more in terms of maturity level than it would be with older people.

There's also just differences in where you are in life and what kinds of things you're involved in. Someone that's an adult and out of school and working full time is just in a very different place in life than someone with years of school left.

• Yeah, I know the laws. Like I said, her being underage is a problem, I refuse to do anything sexual with her. Thing is, she seems willing to wait till she is of age, and I don't have the option or desire to cut contact with her. I feel kind of guilty even just thinking about it, but she has a great personality and I feel like I'm falling for her even though I intended to only be friends.

• I think somebody once told me “divide the older age by two then add six and that’s the youngest the other person can be for it to be socially acceptable”. Don’t know if I exactly agree, but that’s what I heard

0|0
    0|0
  • Over 5 is usually doomed to fail... Especially in today's society when people (women) are allowed to think and choose for themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • My ex-husband is 10 years older than me, but now, at age 49, I only date younger men.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like older men but I don’t think I’d go over 13 years

0|0
    0|0
  • If both people are legal then age is irrelevant

0|1
    0|0
  • +30 years difference

0|0
    0|0
  • under 18 - 3 years difference