How do I know if a particular hang out was a date?

what are clues I can use to see if it was a date?
we were meeting for the first time but it wasn't a date specifically when we agreed to hang out - we have mutual friends actually and have messaged online about eachothers art. he saw a place i went to eat at a week ago and said it looked great and he wanted to try so we went together. He did reach for the tab, but I told him we'd split it. He doesn't talk much and even asked me if he was awkward but he's not exactly shy he still talks and showed me his trips and stuff. We took a walk after in the mall and then went off home.
awesome because it was great and I've BEEN trying to get a date with him haha. thanks everyone!

617

Most Helpful Guy

• On one hand don't get caught up in the specifics trying to label everything into a neat order. Decide on your end if he is interesting and make a move. If he retaliates, make another. This goes on until you have a ring on your finger and more cats than kids. On the other hand, looks like a date to me lol

Most Helpful Girl

• He most definitely likes you and he considered it a date, he first off showed interest by saying he liked a place you eat at. He offered to pay, and the fact that he is asking questions on how you feel about him