So we finally had the talk. Does he mean what I think he means?

So as you can tell by previous questions, I had no idea where we (the guy I’ve been seeing for 8 weeks and I) stood. We finally had the discussion last night over dinner.

He’s not looking for a relationship right now. To be honest, neither was I. I have a lot of shit in my life at the moment that needs to be taken care of (debt, custody issue) before I start a relationship. He has a lot of money too and has lost a lot to gold diggers in the past so I understand his apprehension in moving forward with someone with debt. He has none. I’m paying mine down as quickly as I can. His stipulation is it has to be taken care of before moving forward. That’s fine with me because it gives me a chance to get rid of it and time to sort out the custody stuff. So we are still friends and seeing where it goes.

Then today, I found out that I have $4000 sitting in an abandoned account, which would eliminate 90% of my debt all at once. I told him all but $500 is going towards my debt. I’m putting the $500 away into savings for an emergency.

Said to him, I’m eliminating my debt and cutting all the toxic people out of my life. Move forward stress free.

His response was “You better”

I said “I’m doing it as quickly as I possibly can”

He said “Hopefully”.

So by him saying he wants my debt taken care of before moving forward, and by him responding “You better” and “Hopefully” to me taking care of my debt and cutting out toxic people, does that mean he sees a relationship or a future with me? That he wants one down the road?

012

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly dear his responses annoy me a bit.
    It does not show any sign of enthusiasm at all. The answers are raw as sushi.
    Sorry for the metaphor :-)
    Anyways, getting rid of your debt and toxic people as you said, are really great news, for you and your children!!! Regardless what he wants, you are moving forward with your life independently, and for that BRAVO :-)
    He is still hesitating, and the gold digger thing I don't believe it. he obviously likes you, and you like him back. but what is it that is holding him back like that.
    I mean if you are not in a relationship, what and who are you?
    I don't go sleep with my friend unless i have feelings for her.
    he got me a bit confused frankly.
    It is obvious he wants you, and needs you.
    It is OK if he is afraid of committing and getting married. But at least he should understand his behavior and know what are his feelings towards you.
    He is indeed confusing my dear.
    If he needs 12 months, 4 seasons to make a step forward, level up the relation i understand, but he should be clear about it though.

• When I say he has a lot of money, I mean a lot. Like more than 99% of the population a lot. I know about the history with his ex-fiancée and what she did with the money and it was less than a year ago that he left her. So I can understand the apprehension behind not wanting to label a relationship with someone who has quite a bit of debt right now. Part of me thinks he does want something more with me. But I don’t know if that’s my own wishful thinking. He still kisses me, still sleeping with each other. Not seeing or trying to see anyone else (either of us). I mean wouldn’t someone have walked away by now (its been almost two months) if they weren’t even the slightest bit interested in the other person?

• Voila. Exactly my point dear.
      As humans, when an unfortunate event happens, the fear we feel builds a wall inside us protecting our comfort zone. I am no professional nor a psychologist, but I have read loads of books, and they always mention the same concept.
      You, showing him how much you are investing efforts in the relationship, helps him somehow hold on to you. Frankly I wouldn't blame him and I would try to make sure things are going to be different this time, for the good sake of the relationship.
      Hopefully we are not misunderstanding the situation, and I wish you both get to a serious life time relationship too.
      Love, Respect, Honesty, Crystal Clear, etc...
      Those are important.
      I understand him somehow because Lebanese people are somehow "Gold Diggers" and like to "Show Off".
      You seem a pretty honest decent person to me, and that is a great reason for someone to want to be with you. Regardless everything else!
      Sincerely I hope everything is going to be PERFECT for both :-D

• Thank you for the MHO der @AnberlinCanucks :-D

You know, if you need anything, just hit me up with a personal message.
      Would be more than glad to help you :-)

Have a nice day, and Good luck.

Cheers!!!