Do fights between couples strengthen their relationships?

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we haven’t really had a major fight. We argue and makeup. So is it normal for us to not have fights?

3657

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really even have arguments with partners, to which many people used to say things like "you don't love each other if you're not passionate enough to fight" and "you can't be having good sex if you don't have make up sex" - and I say it's total BS.

You guys have been going for four years- you're doing something right!

Ever person, every couple and every relationship is different, I personally think fights are pretty destructive, and I don't get how people live yelling at one another every day- what's normal for you IS normal- it doesn't matter what other people do- if you've avoided fighting, good for you and I hope you guys carry on that way.

Those who say it's weird or wrong not to tear chunks out of one another on a weekly basis are the ones getting it wrong in my eyes- you don't have to scream and shout to understand each other, to discuss differences and create compromises.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are obviously doing something right. A couple that has good communication skills will not fight. Even if one side has a rare slip, the other will not allow it to escalate. Couple that fight have communication problems on at least one side.

• Damn you could not have been more on the dot. My wife is always telling me that i have communication issues in which i believe i do as well but I've been intensely working on it. Most of our fights always start with "because you don't communicate" and honestly i want to better myself each and everyday for my family because i don't want these fights to continue in any way. So i'm starting to take initiative where I write stuff down to tell her later, or i tell the person that the problem is with my opinion right on the spot to not let it linger and forgotten.
      I've realized that it's honestly helping us a lot with evading arguments whereas when i sense a important conversation is arising i give her my full opinion instead of just listening or brushing it off and i do so with others as well and that makes her happy. She sees it as a form of me standing up and i have to say i agree as well.
      I guess fights can actually help couples cause i want to be better for her and so does she for me.

• @ramismalafis That is awesome! You are proactively working on it. So I can see how the fights might help in your case. It is almost like fine tuning the machinery. But most fighting couples just fight. They do not think about why. They just do it.

• To be honest @Opinion Owner, i really love my wife and i know she loves me, we've got a son together and i would not want to ever have him having separated parents because he is just too awesome and i love him way to much as well. When i am wrong i need to do better and vice versa when she is wrong she tries for me as well especially now that we are communicating more. We always have room for improvement especially when you've got love in the picture.