Is an ultimatum ever a good thing?

I’ve been seeing this guy for 5 months now. Basically we are ‘seeing where this goes’ whatever that means in man language lol. Anyway, only recently have I started to want more, but due to discussions in the past I’m sure he still isn’t looking for a relationship, at least yet anyway. The other day he told me I was perfect and has told me several times that ‘anyone would be lucky to have me’.. But I don’t get it. If he thinks that, then why doesn’t he want more?
Do I ask him outright that it’s all or nothing now, or do I just keep letting it progress organically? I just want it to be mutual, not just on his terms.

02