How important is eye contact?

So i’m a pretty shy guy in general but I have an issue that I hear is important in a relationship and that is eye contact. I don’t mean I stare at women’s chests or anything I just look around or above or to the side. It’s just uncomfortable for me my eyes naturally stare and I stare into space a lot and it is because of these to thing that I would often get request for me to stop staring growing up. These were mostly women and they were often hurtful about it, and I wasn’t even staring at them. I didn’t realize this was a problem until I got denyed a job because I wouldn’t look the interviewer in the eye. And it was this topic of conversation that turned to my relationship problems, I was told that not looking a girl in the was wrong, so why is it and how important is it?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Eye contact is strongly influenced by our cultural beliefs. In most western countries, (such as the U. SA.) it is not only rude to not maintain eye contact during conversation, but lack of eye contact can leave the other person thinking that you are not trustworthy. From what I’ve learned, there are some Asian and African Countries where it is seen as a hostile or disrespectful action to look at someone directly in the eyes.
    It truly depends on where you are in the world.

Most Helpful Guy

• Wow. Why do you stare into space at their chest angle tho?

• I don’t I specifically said I don’t, I avoid it I don’t wanna be seen as a perver and i’m not into that anyways. I’m pretty tall so I usually look over a person.

• All it takes is calling my name to for me to snap out of it.

• Well hopefully you can get more friends who understands that part more about you then.