How can I help my boyfriend feel better about meeting my parents?

My boyfriend served two years in Afghanistan and he's having a hard time adjusting to civilian life. He can't find a good job that sufficiantly pays his rent. The job he has now barely covers it and he never has enough for food. And he lives in a shitty apartment with four roommates. He has gotten zero support from the government and country he fought to protect. My boyfriend said he would love to meet my family but he doesn't want them to look down on me for dating a guy who doesn't make enough to get by. I hate he feels that way. He respects, appreciates, and adores me. I'm not sure what more my parents could demand but I want to make him feel at ease.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Remind him how amazing he is in your eyes and that other people see him in a much more positive light than he sees himself. A better job will come once he starts to work on his confidence. Tell him your parents will love him as long as he loves you and remind him that they respect what he's done for their country xx good luck xx

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like this is more about him and his insecurities over your parents looking down on him. He doesn't respect himself enough to meet your parents, and it's better if he gets that back.
    So he needs to get a job that pays enough, and you can motivate him with that.

0|0
    0|0
    • You're probably right. My parents are both successful. They're high school sweethearts who own a business, work full-time, and travel. And they made sure that myself and my siblings do well for ourselves at least at our age or the point in our lives that we are at. He felt better when I told him my parents aren't perfect. He's happy for my success and is always bragging about me but he wonders why I'm with him.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Why doesn't he re-enlist and learn a useful skill? Why doesn't he take advantage of the GI bill and go to college?

It sounds to me like he joined the military because he didn't know what else to do, and he still doesn't know what else to do. If he doesn't get his rear in gear soon, you should find someone else.

0|0
    0|0
    • He was medically discharged due to a shattered leg. Which was a souvenir he got during a battle. He can't re-enlist because of that. He tried to take advantage of the GI Bill and that didn't work out.

• Show All
    • What can I say? My parents raised me with a sharp tongue.

• His attitude, not yours.

• Start with introducing siblings first and one on one. If that goes well introduce him to one parent at a time. After some time of gradual introductions bring him to a family cook out or something.

1|0
    0|0
  • Introduce him to the people who are the most understandable first. Then work on up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him to watch Bollywood movies 😂
    That'll surely help

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe start with your sister first

2|0
    0|0
  • tell him they don't own guns

1|0
    0|0