How long does it fully take to get over someone you had feelings for?

It's been a year and I'm finally at the point where Im open to seeing other people and I've made progress but I'm just not fully over him. Like I would be devastated to see him with another girl and like I would still feel jealous. I don't have feelings sexually and not as strong physical emotions that I once did but I still really care about him (if that makes sense). So I guess Im obviously not fully over him so how long does it take to fully get over someone?

913

Most Helpful Girl

• Getting over someone feels like a loss and it is. When you lose someone sometimes you never really stop missing them. It does fade but it's still there and can be triggered by certain things. It all depends on how strong your feelings were in the first place. I would say that it might help to not speak, see, or think of him and to keep yourself occupied so that you are able to do so. You haven't been together for a while though so maybe you've already done that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on a lot of things. Did it end suddenly and unexpected, or did you check out awhile ago (that can speed up healing). How long was the relationship, and how close were you? Why did teh breakup occur? And so on...

• It did end suddenly and unexpected, he just stopped talking to me and responding to me. We weren't in a relationship but we had a thing for a little over a year. In terms of how close I was with him, he is the only guy I've ever been able to fully open up to and thats my biggest flaw in relationships is that I have trouble opening up. I mean he reached out to me in October/november but haven't heard from him since when I asked if we could talk about what happened last April (when things technically "ended" for us). I know he is going through stuff mentally and I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I'm still hurt over the situation.

• Given what you posted and your age, I'd guess it will take a month or so. What worked for me when I was your age was talking to other girls- made me forget the ex relatively quickly.