How long does it fully take to get over someone you had feelings for?

It's been a year and I'm finally at the point where Im open to seeing other people and I've made progress but I'm just not fully over him. Like I would be devastated to see him with another girl and like I would still feel jealous. I don't have feelings sexually and not as strong physical emotions that I once did but I still really care about him (if that makes sense). So I guess Im obviously not fully over him so how long does it take to fully get over someone?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Getting over someone feels like a loss and it is. When you lose someone sometimes you never really stop missing them. It does fade but it's still there and can be triggered by certain things. It all depends on how strong your feelings were in the first place. I would say that it might help to not speak, see, or think of him and to keep yourself occupied so that you are able to do so. You haven't been together for a while though so maybe you've already done that.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on a lot of things. Did it end suddenly and unexpected, or did you check out awhile ago (that can speed up healing). How long was the relationship, and how close were you? Why did teh breakup occur? And so on...

0|0
    0|0
    • It did end suddenly and unexpected, he just stopped talking to me and responding to me. We weren't in a relationship but we had a thing for a little over a year. In terms of how close I was with him, he is the only guy I've ever been able to fully open up to and thats my biggest flaw in relationships is that I have trouble opening up. I mean he reached out to me in October/november but haven't heard from him since when I asked if we could talk about what happened last April (when things technically "ended" for us). I know he is going through stuff mentally and I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I'm still hurt over the situation.

• Given what you posted and your age, I'd guess it will take a month or so. What worked for me when I was your age was talking to other girls- made me forget the ex relatively quickly.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Like everyone has said. There's no set time. The silver lining is that you're human. Some people don't give it a second thought and jump right in to another relationship. The pain sucks but it at least lets you know that that you cared deeply for that person.

1|0
    0|0
    • "Cause I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all". As i was thinking that i realized it's lyrics in a Three Days Grace song but so true 😊

• I’ve liked the same guy for 4 years just recently I have lost some of my feelings for him, I don’t think about him but when I see him I still feel the same. As you also said you would be devastated seeing him with another girl... I would be the same. I still couldn’t say I’m totally over him unfortunately

0|0
    0|0
    • I don’t find him as attractive as I did before but he’s still a great guy...

• I don't know. Mine ended 11 months ago and it has been like 6-7 months since I've hated his guts. And like 4 months that I don't even care if he gets a girlfriend. And he probably already has but I dont just care enough to even check. I guess it depends on different people and different situations.

0|0
    0|0
    • And it wasn't a short relationship either it was a four year long one. But maybe I moved on because I finally realized he wasn't worth shit.

• No clue. Sorta feel the same about my ex sometimes. Other times I dont care. I left her because she cared way more than I did and I could tell it was hurting her. Sorry about the interjection of my own life. Message me if you want to talk about your situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wait 3-6 months during that time have fun, go out, meet new friends. ABSOLUTELY do not text the person. After that time is over try to find someone new. It will distract you from the other person. It helped me get over a boy I dated for 2 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no set time amd each person is different. For me it always took 2-r months if I was in love with the girl. If I tried to be friends right after breaking up it took longer because I didn’t give myself time to heal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I'm searching answer for this vary question from last 2 years.
    I've tried everything but nothing seems to be working out.
    It feels so messed up and I'm getting engulfed by dark thoughts.
    But I hope you get over him soon.
    Do well
    #peace

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're still looking at his Facebook profile, Instagram etc then you need to cut that out. Block him so you're not tempted. If you're doing that then it's just picking an open wound.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, for me it took a year to get over my first ex-girlfriend and the second one was more of her fault so i got over her quick.

0|0
    0|0
  • Too much apparently.
    It is not about time, but it is about finding someone else to replace

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been in love with a guy since kindergarten.
    I'm 17 now.
    I don't think that you can fully get over someone if you truly loved that person.
    That someone will always be in our hearts.
    Love isn't something you get over because feelings aren't something you can deal with that easily.
    I think that the best "remedy" for an unrequited or unsuccessful love is... another love.
    Only love can repair the damage love did.
    That's what happened in my case.
    I fell in love with my best friend who gave me support. He is a sweet and great guy.
    I still can't say I gave up fully on my feelings for that guy I've been in love with since kindergarten.
    And I'm sure they won't just disappear.
    They will convey into sweet memory of my first love.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes 1 month, sometimes forever. Getting someone else in his place also helps you getting over the previous one.

0|0
    0|0
  • More than a year. Delete tinder, find a hobby, ignore his texts.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you need too. There are no set times as it varies. You will daye when you are ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • A year?

0|0
    0|0
  • For me 1 day

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm maybe a few weeks tops

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it was 2 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve been where you are and I’ll tell you the date I got over it. We sensationalize good feelings, especially when we miss someone. I closed up emotionally until the date I decided to do 2 things:
    1. I recall all the times it was bad, heartbreaking, and anxiety to realize that it was not all that amazing. Then I forgive him for hurting me, and I forgive myself too.
    2. I open up emotionally. I dressed up, spent extra time putting on makeup and smiled more. Good vibes get attentions, it ease up the pain. I went on coffee dates, exposed myself to more people to realize that there are so many lovely, nice and incredible people out there, and also good looking :)
    Then boom!! He’s gone. I still remember him, I just don’t miss him anymore.
    Hope this helps

0|0
    0|0
  • Remove all things that remind you of the person. Helps the process.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes