Boyfriend or Me being selfish?

So I really wanted to go to this event in May, but my boyfriend just found out he's going on vacation and won't be able to come with. He said he talked to his family about changing the date but nothing is for sure yet (He's trying to pay for the airfare and change the hotel dates). I told him if he can't come with, I'll take one of my guy friends, and he sorta got pissed and upset. He said "So if I can't come with your just gonna have another guy take you? Thats kind of upsetting". I said I was kidding, but I don't know why he doesn't want me going with someone else if he can't go. He asked if my family was going and I told him they couldn't make it. Who's being selfish, him or me?
He keeps messaging me asking if I'm mad and saying "I'm really trying to change the vacation dates, just give me some more time" but I know its not gonna change anything, and he's just saying that to calm me down

21