Super short responses to questions, why?

Just wondering why people give one word or short responses to questions, when you're trying to get to know them. Example how was your day? answer fine... Lol that's a terrible response when trying to get to know someone.. so why do people do it?

411

Most Helpful Girl

• If you ask how someone is doing or how their day went, it’s just taken as a sign of politeness and common courtesy. The person asking is most likely not interested in hearing a whole life story, but just a nice short answer to keep the conversation going

Most Helpful Guy

• You're asking questions that can be satisfactorily answered with a short response. If you want someone to engage more, you have to ask more engaging questions. So, what did you do this weekend? Vs Did you do anything this weekend?