Would you date/marry someone with a disability? Why/why not? What are your deal breakers when it comes to this topic?

Would you date/marry someone with a disability?
  • Yes, but only if they didn't need me to assist them with anything extra.
    Vote A
  • Yes, even if I had to do more for them than those without a disability
    Vote B
  • No, never.
    Vote C
  • Depends. On What?
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• Lots of people have disabilities and illnesses. There are less people without disabilities than people with them. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes which isn't a disability but it can be comparable. He has to constantly check his blood sugar and take insulin shots. With out them he can die. Lots of people live with mental illness like depression and anxiety and sometimes these disorders can be disabling. What I'm saying is most people struggle with something. It's silly to even think you would be with someone who isn't "Disabled", have a fun time finding that perfect specimen of humanity because they are few and far between.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not sure to be honest.
    My ex had a few health issues, I believe the doc had advised her she could technically be signed off as disabled, but she wanted to keep working. I always made a point of telling her that her health wouldn't be an issue for me, when we had to cancel things for her not being well enough I never made a fuss, was always more worried about her than missing out on anything. But whether I would get together with someone who had a severe disablement, I think I might struggle, but don't know for sure

1|0
    0|0
    • What do you define as a severe disability?

• Again honestly it's a difficult one to define. I think if someone was a paraplegic I think I would struggle to pursue anything.
      To some extent I suppose I would have to judge each person on their individual circumstances and based on what I felt the long term prospects were for the relationship.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• My partner is in a wheelchair, she has SMA Type 2 and requires a lot of physical help due to her lack of muscle strength. I've been with her for 3 years now and couldn't imagine my life without her. It can be difficult at times but its worth the effort, when you really love someone you will do anything even if they have a disability.

3|1
    0|0
  • If he can give me what I am looking for in a male (appreciation, feeling of security) and if supporting him won't cost so much that we couldn't afford having kids or living more or less normal life then I would date and marry him. However, I really have physical security issues and I guess if he couldn't defend me I wouldn't be comfortable with him. Also, if something happened to him after we are already in love then I would marry him no matter what.

0|1
    0|0
    • You're burdening disabled people to defend you? Jesus Christ that's beyond physical security, that's just entitlement. Look into hiring a bodygaurd instead.

• Show All
    • If you future child isn't what you want, you gonna leave it?

• If you have a partner and he becomes paralyzed in an accident, you'll leave him because he can't meet your personal bodyguard requirements? Who the fuck thinks like that you witch

• Depends on the disability. Most people would say yes, I'd do anything, I don't care about it, everyone is beautiful etc etc.. But in reality it's much, much harder to keep doing that.

1|0
    0|0
    • Most people might say yes, but in reality when you look within society this rarely happens.

• Show All
    • But there are different levels of disability are there not? Some people with a disability don't need assistance from others to any great extent.

• That's why i said it depends on the disability. A small one is no problem, but taking care of someone who can't move or do anything by himself is a huge burden.

• Mental disability? bi-polar, Psychopathy, sadism or multi-personality disorder and almost everything I'd date. But I won't date a heavy autistic person or a person with a bad social phobia.

Physical disability? It's a tough one... I'd never let it reach the point of dating. I can't do it, I know myself too well. But I know there are others who can and i don't want to waste her time.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was in a short term relationship with a girl who had Asperger syndrome. We clicked because we had a common interest in computer programming and contrary to the stereotype, she was somewhat attractive.

It didn't work out only because she was sexually inexperienced and made no effort to improve. Otherwise I would have stayed

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a disability myself
    It would be super hypocritical of me to not marry someone like me

1|3
    0|0
  • So this basically doesn't have enough information for me to formulate a answer correctly and there's too many variables and outliers in the situation for example if I were to meet someone who was a nice person with a disability depending on how serious the disability might put me in a position where I don't want to deal with that and while that might sound like an ass whole thing to do or say it's I'd rather not put myself in a position where I'm going to be resenting being with that person if that's not something I'm willing to do save both of us the time and then they can find someone who is better willing to do that. as far as marrying someone that implies that you've been with them for a while it's a car accident puts them in a situation with a disability I would never leave them I have been loyal and faithful to them this whole time and I would not leave them just because of an incident causing them to have issues they need me now more than ever.

1|0
    0|0
    • So you'd stay if you're already invested in the person, but wouldn't out yourself in that situation to begin with. Thanks for the honesty, I think the majority of people think that way but don't say it.

• Exactly. There is no point in pretending you'd be okay with it. Save both of you the time and heartache. Leading people on is the worst. Especially with disabilities in play.

• A disability would only be a deal breaker if it...
    - was a mental disability, rather than a physical one
    - caused her to be deformed in a way that made her any less physically attractive
    - was terminal
    - stood in the way of a healthy sex life

0|0
    1|0
  • Im not sure if yourself specifically referring to physical disability, but my boyfriend has autism. It does make things more difficult and it can be hard at time but I wouldn't change him for the world. He got diagnosed early on in our relationship and he thought it would put me off him but nothing changed at all I saw him in the same exact way I did before.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would marry someone with a disability because i love their personality and i am happy spendingtime with them. The disability is something that happened that we as a couple would work through it. There is no reason to leave him or her because they are in a wheelchair or dont have an arm. Girl there are alternatives now a days. I would love him just as much.

0|0
    0|0
  • The girls saying they would marry a disabled guy are lying. They CORE of they're entitlement to having the hottest men is that those men can protect them and with short or slim guy they don't feel that protection, now theyre saying they will be with a disabled guy? Highly doubtful.

They're saying it to sound nice and not mean.

0|1
    0|0
  • Mine has a terrible health issues that didn’t allow him to work physically ever since. He feels sometimes so tired that he can’t get up the bed and just sleep. Good thing he’s so intelligent and never let his health hinder him. I love him for that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everything simply depends on how much I love her. I could love someone enough to help them with their issues.

2|1
    0|0
  • It depends on what kind of disability dear JustMe89.
    Wouldn't actually mind marrying a woman with disabilities that would not stay in the way of having a love life (mentally and sexually).
    If she is just blind or cannot walk, it wouldn't be a problem, I will be her legs and eyes.
    In the case of a mental disability I am not sure if it would be possible for me to love her enough, for the simple fact that we wouldn't be able to communicate (not the case of deaf people).
    Whatever the disability would be, in case we can still have connect mentally and emotionally, and be able to make love, then I wouldn't mind.
    Thank you for sharing this interesting question.

0|0
    1|0
  • Absolutely, a disability does not define a person and I've known some majorly awesome folks with disabilities that I would be much more interested in than some of the jerks I know without them.

0|0
    0|0
  • there are some disablities that I find normal, and willing to date or marry. Some, I doubt I could go for it

0|0
    0|0
  • If you truly love someone disability doesn't matter and you should be willing to do anything for them

0|0
    0|0
  • If I genuinely like a person I would. I don't care if you are disabled or not. Bond/Love is what matters to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have a physical disability. I'm in a wheelchair and I've got a boyfriend of 3 years

1|2
    0|0
  • I would because if we had a strong enough connection, I'd be willing to help them however I could for us to be together

1|0
    0|0
  • I am physically and mentally disabled. I have mental disabilities that I have no control over, and I also cannot walk or stand on my own. My partner at first didn't know how to handle it but now he does and I'm extremely thankful to have him. I was born with an issue that caused lots of health problems to where I just cannot walk. There ARE things I insist doing on my own, like wheeling myself in my wheelchair sometimes. Though, it does get hard and exhausting for the BOTH of us. I think because I do actually suffer with the issues that he realizes I'm more stressed out than he is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course! It's a good deed. I love helping people and especially those who might have one. I will help them to the death :)

0|0
    1|0
  • If I'm to be totally honest it would depend on the disability.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't want my child to get this disability.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually, I know a guy in that situation. A girl courted him until he was severely disabled in a car accident. The girl bolted.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would but I would want them to be medicated if it mental

0|0
    0|0
  • A hot billionaire heiress with a limp seems like a lottery win

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, even if I had to do more for them than those without a disability.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a single parent so I'm not thinking about ANY marriage again...

0|0
    0|0
  • Iam still searching for her because Iam sure she is in life

0|0
    0|0
  • My answer is a big (but not universal) yes, since I've got my demons as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but i also have a disability. So kinda depends on what.

0|0
    0|0
    • What are your deal breakers?

• Show All
    • What are yours? @just_me89

• Is there anything you have trouble with frequently enough, that might be a deal breaker?

• Really depends on the disability

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I were thoroughly invested, yeah.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I don't mind it at all.

0|0
    0|0