My so called boyfriend never texts me much or rings me when we are apart, I'm so upset can someone help me and give me advice?

I'm 24 and he's 19, we both work away so it's important for me to hear from him at least once a day when we're apart, today he didn't text me and I waited until 8 pm , I then text him saying I was upset and he rang me for a stupid 5 minutes and tried to make jokes and change the subject and didn't take me serious, he said he'd call me back later and he never so I rang him again and he said he was going to sleep and I wasn't happy, I said if you don't wanna be with me just say do u even care about me etc and he said yes and he text saying love you , but he's not showing it very well , why is he with me if he doesn't care about how my day is or want to talk to me i don't understand :( I'm so upset I feel so unwanted going to bed crying, how can I tell him or show him this is really
getting up me

20