How do you know when a guy misses you or still cares but is too afraid to say it?

Please someone help me! I dated this guy for a year, it has been 5 months till we broke up, and I really cared about him but all I was told was that he was just using me so it was hard to be with him but I stayed because I really cared about him and I believed him and he really did show me that he did care, but a lot of other times he didn't. I really want to get over him if he is for sure over me but I need help (yes, I am in a highschool relationship so I'm sorry if I sound too immature but I need someones help). We were eachothers first at everything mostly and I always catch him staring and I will hear that he does talk about me to his friends because I talk to his friends and they will tell me and bring it up. Please help me out!! I really do miss him, but do you think he does miss me?

01