Is mental illness/trauma a deal breaker for you?

I struggle with multiple mental health issues stemming from trauma. I also treat them and take my medications, go to therapy and work my butt off to be the best I can be despite my diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder 2, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, EDNOS and past substance Use Disorder. I have been clean for two years and really have gotten my life together but even then my ex decided to leave because even though I'm doing amazing in recovery and finally am happy, those words scared him and he saw them as a deal breaker. Was wondering if a past history of mental health issues would but anyone else off of dating someone that they loved?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• I like to avoid crazy like the Black Plague. You never know who you’ll get tomorrow with a crazy person. Also, if you have problems, you should work on them before committing yourself to someone else. Mainly because you can be taken advantage of. Not everyone has your best interest in their mind.

• Thank you for your honesty. I did say I am in recovery and following my treatment program so I am working on myself, but they are also life long illnesses

• Exactly. You weren’t born like everyone else. You have to walk a different path that’s going to be much harder. With that being said it is possible to have a normal life if you work hard enough.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd be fine with it