Should I go on the date?

Okay so I met this guy on tinder. He’s in the marines and is 20 years old. We’ve had pretty good conversations so far but I’m seeing a few red flags. When I was talking to him about fitness he said he just does it pass his fitness tests. I said I do it to stay fit and hopefully compete one day. He said, “fuck that” in response to me competing. It is something that is very important to me and he just kinda shit talked it and changed subjects. I’m also super sick so I can’t meet up right now. He just said “well shit” when I said I can’t go till I feel better. I get that he leaves soon to go back to training then will be back in June but it felt kinda aggressive that he would say it like that. I don't know if I feel comfortable going on a date with this guy anymore since he doesn’t sound supportive, and doesn’t live by me year round. It would end up being kinda long distance even if I someday moved closer to him since he most likely will get deployed eventually. His job is very important to him so I wouldn’t want him to quit for me nor do I really want to be with someone who won’t always be there. I don't know if I should go on this date or not but yeah that’s the story lol

218

Most Helpful Guy

• He isn't very respectful. Like I lift weights but I'm not the biggest fan of bikini competes (i assume that's what you mean) but I'd never say something like that. I'd encourage the girl even if I don't care about the event I just care they're ambitious about something and be supportive.

He also didn't seem all that concerned that you were sick. Like he didn't wish you to feel better or ask if he could help (i know people can't really do anything to actually help but it just feels good knowing someone cares when they ask that and he didn't even bother).

I think you can do better. I come from a marine family with my dad being a marine so the attitude can't just be excused by the military. I have several marine friends who act respectful and classy with women.

• Thanks for the response! Yeah he seems more eager to go on the date with me than hope I get better. He did say “let me know if I can get you anything” but like I feel like you do that when you’re in an actual relationship. I haven’t even met him yet

• Agreed. I just don’t know how to get that idea across without point blank saying it

• Maybe just say you are looking for a longterm relationship (are you?) and talk about how his military life would just make it hard for you both and he might just be happier with a different kind of woman.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its just a date, wouldn't hurt to go that way you would know for sure. But at the same time if fitness is something that is a big deal to you are you going to be ok with him not caring about it. Secondly, unless your willing to do the long distance thing it could also be a waste of time.. and from personal experience tinder to me seems all about rhe hook ups