Is he serious or is he joking?

Alright... so my boyfriend and I have known each other for 8 years, dating 3 years and living together in our apartment for 2 years.

He will occasionally joke around about proposing. Like, if we go on vacation, he'll pretend to with like a room key or something like that and I just laugh at him. This has been going on ever since we started dating. We never really had a serious conversation about it. I don't know if I'm supposed to bring it up, or if he's trying to? Maybe he's trying to test the waters and I'm just blowing it every time? I don't know. But, it's getting frustrating after being with him for 3 years and still not knowing what he's thinking for our future. I need everyone's thoughts.

02