Why am I so afraid to approach girls?

So, I really want a girlfriend.

The issue is I am terrified when it comes to approaching girls that I like. I mean, I will freeze up, have no idea what to say, get really nervous, and probably just walk away from any conversation that may start with a girl.

I am fine talking with girls who I know and are friends but any others.. no chance, terrified.

Anyway, there's this one girl that's caught my eye a few times at the gym, mainly because she always seems to be looking in my direction and around me. She has also smiled at me a few times while walking past. And she'll do this thing where, say I am working out in the distance but facing away from her, she'll walk by me but really closely and then over to her friend who will be in front of me but a bit further away. And she does this enough to the point where I can blatantly notice it.

She always seems to use the machines that are right next to me when ever she gets the chance too.

First question is:
-Are any of the things that I just listed above any sort of sign that she is interested in me :P?

-And if they are not signs, what are some signs that I should look out for in girls who are trying to show interest in a guy?

Second question is:
- How can I approach girls without being terrified?

Now I understand you'll say stuff like: "just be confident" or "what's the worst that can happen" or "it doesn't make any sense to not approach a girl you like" blah blah blah. But I have approach anxiety pretty bad I think.

So just saying "be confident" etc, is like trying to tell someone how to cast a Patronus charm by saying "don't be scared" (and we all know how that went for Harry).

Instead could you maybe give me some stuff that girls like to talk about? Do girls even like to be approached at the gym? Do girls like being approached at all? Should I ask for her phone number straight away? Is less mor

02