Boyfriend hooked up with a minor and now I’m disgusted by him?

I know disgusting is a strong word and believe me I’m not using it lightly lol.

We were together, then broke up and spent a few months apart, now we’re back at it. He asked me if I was down to going to his friend’s sister birthday party, I said yes, and he confessed he hooked up with her while we were split up. The only problem is that this is her 18th birthday.

I can’t help but feel literally disgusted. I don’t even want him to touch me anymore, I am so unbelievably turned off. At this point I’m just hoping it passes because if it doesn’t I really won’t be able to go on.

What to do in this situation? I’m just lost
Yeah I’m just gonna break up. Thank you for all your opinions though!

312

Most Helpful Girl

• The girl was 18 and them hooking up when you were not dating is a lot of things but not disgusting. Here people are legally allowed to have sex when they’re 16. She was an adult not a child so whilst I appreciate that you feel disgusted, it’s not actually disgusting on their part. They did nothing wrong.

You want disgusting and in perspective, imagine two people aged 24 and dating then the guy confesses that he had sex with his friend’s sister who was 13! The guy only confessed because the cops turned up to their workplace to arrest him for statutory rape! There was no rape involved (as per the court transcript) but because she was under 16 it’s automatically rape. Now that... is disgusting!

In your case, you have to figure out if you want to be with him or not. If you’re not able to forget it and move on, which you’re not going to be able to do since you find it disgusting, just walk away from him. It’d be a bad idea to even try with that in the back of your mind. You could never feel the same way about him again so why waste both his and your time. The problem is yours and honestly, you’re never going to shake how you feel no matter how hard you try. Sad but true.

• Disgusting because he had sex with a 13yr old, not because it was statutory rape. Should have explained that bit a lot clearer lol

• That’s what I mean, the issue is that you have a problem with it, not that it’s actually wrong, disgusting or illegal. When you have a problem with it, it’s clear that you have to walk away because you’d never feel any differently.

It doesn’t matter what your point was when you asked this question, you didn’t need to have a point. You needed to vent and just talk it through with people which is fine... that’s why we’re here.

• Thank you

Most Helpful Guy

• Um, if she's 18 now then the girl was probably 17 when they hooked up, is that really that bad?
    Remember that the age of consent is 16 and she's expected to be rational enough at that age to make her own informed decisions.

• It is bad to me. I don’t really care what the age of consent is, it’s just gross to me that he would hook up with someone as young as that, even younger than his sister who he is so protective about. I really can’t help being turned off by that but I guess I’ll just break up then

• That's up to you.
      For me what matters when it comes to relationships is consent and the ability to make a informed decision about consenting to something.
      And quite frankly he didn't do anything *wrong* even if you don't like it.
      The reason *why* it's considered wrong to do anything with a minor is due to their capability of making informed decisions being considered lower then that of an adult and because the consequences for a minor *can* be quite severe.
      Neither of those two would be really factors if he used protection and was careful with her at that age.
      To be quite frank, he probably did her a favour by giving her (what was probably) a good experience compared to the boys her own age.

Do you like historical fiction?
      If yes then I'd like to recommend that you read the Earth's Children series by Jean Marie Auel.
      The first book is named The Clan of the Cave Bear.
      Anyway, if you read the whole series you *might* get a different perspective on your husband.