Do guys ever overanalyze how long it takes for girls to text back?

339

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely. First thing that always comes to mind goes something like:
    "ok, did I say something wrong? is the conversation over because I did 1 single freaking misstep in the way those conversations are codified? What did I say that WAS wrong? Or did I say something that wasn't wrong but could have been misconstrued as such? Is she busy exchanging messages with other men? Did I ask a question that requires her to steptoe around a difficult subject? Did she need to go the bathroom? etc."

And then I get back to my senses and remember "the rules" of exchanging messages with a girl, among which is the balance of reciprocity: if I sent her a message, or two at most, I shouldn't send a third without a response from her. I shouldn't appear clingy.

• What if she initiated the conversation and then you took a couple of hours and she replied the next morning because she was busy (though you wouldn't know that )? Is that normal?

• OK. Well in that case, it seems fine and there isn't much need to second guess delays. Because there wasn't a real time exchange that suddenly saw one of us go mute.
      If I took a couple hours to respond and she writes back several hours later, it's totally normal. The exchange is simply not taking place in real time. I'll worry after 24 hours.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont know if they do or don't but I'm curious too