How do I get a guy to solidify a plan?

I've been texting with this guy for at least two weeks now and he's really, really nice, really easy to talk to, lots of things I like. But he's also crazy busy, because he's in medical school, and we live a bit of a drive from each other so we haven't been able to meet yet. This morning he said he'd had plans with his friends tomorrow but they hadn't confirmed or solidified anything and he didn't think it was going to happen so I told him my plans had just changed too, which as true, and that I'd just become free. He said something that sounded very much like he was proposing we do something and I said I could be convinced to which he said "that could be arranged" and I said yes please and then he asked how my day was going? Like what? Where did that come from?
A similar conversation happened about a week ago where he went as far as asking me when i was usually off work and then changed the subject again.
I don't doubt that he wants to meet me and I fully understand how ridiculously stressful and time consuming medical school is, but I don't get why he keeps changing the subject right when we get close to actually arranging a time and a place. How can I get him to actually set a date and stop changing the subject before we can. I even told him what days I was free in the next couple weeks once and he didn't catch on?

01