Is it cheating if I date someone else while on a "break" with my boyfriend?

Basically, my boyfriend told me that he wants to be by himself for a while because he's young and still getting to know himself. He also said that we aren't broken up or anything but I don't understand what he means. I kind of met this other dude and he wants to take me on a date. Would that be cheating? I don't know wtf a break is.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmmm, sounds like your "bf" is keeping you around while he can do whatever he wants. How childish is that? People dont take breaks. Either your together or your not. Go on a date with this guy. Your "bf" is stringing you along. It almost sounds like he may even be looking for someone else. If you want, ask him what he meens and tell him your not waiting around for him and there's someone else who wants to take you out. That will make him get his sht together. If you dont wanna ask him, go on the date with this new guy. See what happens. You may like him more then your current guy. That's what I would do anyways. Good luck

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Technically it's not cheating but it's a big mistake to do that because he will be livid when he finds out. That's if he still cares about you. I went to through that with my girlfriend and I knew that's a big No No that could kill the whole deal

2|1
    0|0
    • So, what was the point of the break? I feel like it's basically a temporary break up.

• She just needed time for herself to take it easy for a while I gave her the space. We got back together and she moved in with me and we traveled the world after all of that. Don't blow it by dating other people. Its still early in the game for you. Give him the space that he needs and try to work it out down the road

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• What your boyfriend is saying doesn't make sense to you because it's a stupid idea. I don't know why people think it's smart to leave their partner to "take a break" to "find themselves" because they're young. If I were you I'd just break up with him altogether, find a guy who isn't a retard.

1|1
    0|0
  • If your on a break from each other then you should establish rules like not texting dating other people how long for so talk to him about it before acting as he might see it as cheating even if you dont

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is. If you are still with your boyfriend and have the intent to get back together then it is absolutely cheating (its also unfair to the other guy who will be kicked to the curb the second your boyfriend comes back into the picture). So either communicate with your boyfriend figure out what is going on or end it with him so you can move on.

0|1
    0|0
  • I also don't know what a break is. Were you making him not to know himself? Any time on when you're getting back?

1|0
    0|1
    • I don't know what's wrong with him. That's just what he told me. He says he wants a couple of weeks to himself.

• A couple of weeks to himself is sensible but it didn't have to be a 'breakup' even if it's temporary. Maybe you could discuss what the break actually means with him. Would you consider it cheating if he spends the break with another girl?

• You might want to wait and talk with your boyfriend about when the break will be over and if he plans to break up or continue the relationship. You should be careful because if he needs a break because he is "young" and "needs to find himself," he may be messing around with other girls.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you were unsure what he meant by it its best to ask so no confusion ya know. Like do some digging as to why and what that means for your relationship. If you want to go on date with this new guy I would think maybe you didn't want the other , just guessing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Talk to him, because his excuses of “being young” and “wanting to find himself” won’t just go away in a week or two. It sounds to me like he wants to break up but doesn’t have the heart for it, so you need to decide on your own if you’re ok with waiting for him to “find himself”.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girl, fuck him. Sleep with/date whoever you want. Just make sure he doesn't find out about it, and if he does... Oh well. He shouldn't have wanted a break.

2|1
    0|1
    • Is it cheating?

• Show All
    • What if he is not seeing anyone else but just trying to figure himself out. Would u not still consider it on her part as cheating?

• Whats the point off dating other people if u love ur boyfriend. If this is a sign that he doesn't want her anymore or wants to fuck other girls, won't it be best he she dumped him already and look for something real?

• The only reason he'd specify that you aren't broken up is to stop you from finding other partners, which means if he's worth anything he won't have other partners either. It's definitely cheating and he'd probably be upset.

0|1
    0|0
  • In case he's a trustworthy boyfriend
    Put yourself in his place, would you accept your partner dating someone else even though you declared that the relationship is still going?

A break in a relationship is just taking the time alone to fix some inner problems like emotional exhaustion for a better future with your partner after the break is done, it's not a time you should use to "browse" other partners or just "have fun", that's impatient, careless, stupid, and reckless.

What's even the point of dating someone in that time? Are you double timing? Does the guy who asked u out know that you're on a break with your boyfriend? What are your plans for this? Aren't you afraid you might catch feelings? Where is that "date" leading into other than breaking one of those 2 guys' hearts? Are you throwing everything with your boyfriend away just like that and going with a random guy? Don't you care about the way your boyfriend would feel?

If you're planning to go back with your boyfriend then you're basically leading this guy on, you're playing with hearts here, this is serious

Also, it sounds pretty unfaithful that you're so easily drifted away from your boyfriend to a random dude asking you out, i'd suggest you to review your relationship with your boyfriend, and see if you truly love him, if u don't, then prevent further heartbreak and wasting of time for him and breakup with him

Personally if i initiated a break with my partner then saw her dating someone else in the meantime, that break would turn into a break-up

0|0
    0|0
  • While on a break... If another guy takes you out on a date, I suggest telling your 'boyfriend' and see how he reacts. To go out as people getting to know each other is the cheating.

Even in a relationship, if your going out with another guy, coffee or something, that also isn't cheating.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can't understand or accept the break. Either it's over either it's not. I think some people come with this "break" just to keep someone if they don't find anyone else.

3|2
    0|0
  • Must be open here and a say that Borat could NEVER understanding why peoples say they need a break. Relationship no have the pause button like the dvd player.

3|1
    0|1
  • You’re young. Too young to let some guy hold a label over your head like that. It would be different if you were married or had kids, but you are still kids yourself. Go on the date with the guy who already knows himself and wants to spend time with you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, its still cheating. If you have to ask, its most likely cheating. That said, I think breaks are stupid. you're either together or not, no in betweens.
    media.giphy.com/media/lpcUiRlz2Kzmg/giphy.gif

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because he's told you that he hasn't broken up with you.

Ask him if he's ok about you dating other guys. Also, ask him where you stand with him , because you're confused and don't know what he means.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's the question u should be asking him. Like does the break include seeing other people? How long is the break? Let him give u the amount days, weeks, months or years. Are u willing to wait for him? (depending on how long the break is).
    If he agrees to see other people break up with him cos that ain't love. Even u wanting to go on a date with someone else poses a lot of questions. Can u still say to ur ownself, "I love him"(ur boyfriend)?

0|0
    0|0
  • A break means a break
    A break at job or school does not mean you go and work for others or go to a different school
    It means giving space... that does not mean breaking up and having a fling with someone else... its like a vacation
    For eg if you get married and your husband says he is going on a vacation with his friends for a couple of days... that does not mean you go on a date...

1|0
    0|0
  • Your young enjoy your self and what is he even thinking. Like I'm gonna put you on a shelf while I play with another toy. go for it

1|3
    0|0
  • Screw him. He said he wants a break. When he says you aren't broken up, that means he wants to keep you in his sights and not lose you when he's done messing around. Move on girl.

3|1
    0|1
  • no man would ever state he wants a break from a girl unless he wants to fuck someone else and have that excuse. . There is no such thing in a relationship. The fact that he said break and said not broken up and he is young and needs to get to know himself is something guys say to keep what they have on a string while he does him on the low. from your pic alone... i dont think any man on here would want a break. i say do you cause time waits for no one

2|0
    0|1
  • If he initiated this so called break, his intent is to do the same. He's testing being single but keeping you in reserve just in case it doesn't work out for him. He's being a jerk. Go have fun and dump him for being selfish and toying with your feelings.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion it is. If his heart is with you, then it's with you, no matter what he says. I kind of did the same thing only I actually dated this guy for a few days. My soulmate was so upset when I told him about it. We're back together but it's left a scar. If you feel love towards your boyfriend, don't do it. It could hurt him and hurt your relationship with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well thats cheating but you didn't know what he meant by that, it couldve been worse but that is cheating, its not really considered an unloyal thing cause you didn't know what he was talking about, now if you do it again after knowing what it is then that is considered unloyalty ☺

0|0
    0|0
    • No it’s not cheating you are delusional if some says they need space or a break that’s code for I’m not into and I’m going to explore other women

• Show All
    • A man is a guy that would stand up for what he wants, if he wants to break up he would say it, clearly you are making yourself seem like you aren't one

• He wants to have his cake and eat it too. Not fair for you. Either ur broken up or not. If not, then he should grow a pair and stick with u. Sounds like he wants to be single but still have you on the side which is not correct

1|1
    0|0
  • HELL YES ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY do u want to lose your boyfriend? ... seriously u being in break with your boyfriend should show u how much he means to you and if u want to date another guy then your boyfriend doesn't mean shit to u if he does u wouldn't even consider dating

0|0
    0|0
  • A break means pretty much the relationship is over so dating someone else just states that u don't really care for your boyfriend if u r dating someone else so You're best to just end it with your boyfriend and see what happens with this new guy , people that r in love don't take breaks from each other

0|0
    0|0
  • U know that guys goes through a time where he is just confused and need a little of free time to let them lose of their stress. If u want to date this boy u r talking about its up to u. U should not hold back. Just do the things what's in ur mind so that u don't regret. k.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if you took that break to hook up with another person with the intentions of getting back together later, because that's a deception, so yes. What makes it cheating is the deceit/lying (even yo yourself).
    Otherwise no, totally fine, life goes on.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is why breaks are nonsense. There MUST be bounderies for a relationship to function. You either are in a relationship or you aren't. If he's wanting "breaks" and you're considering dating other people, you two clearly don't want to be with one another, which is fine, but one of you needs to end it point blank.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's quite a Ross Gellerian dilemma.
    Ps: I might be wrong but it sounds like he wants to explore other options while you don't.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes needs to clarify, and you should be open and honest with how you feel... I get he needs time alone, but he can't just put you on hold.

1|0
    0|0
  • There is no such thing as a "break". You are either dating or your aren't. You can't put someone on hold and expect them to wait for you to decide what you want.

3|1
    0|0
  • Ehhh technically. I can see your side for sure... but I’d just talk to your ex and let him know where your at.

3|1
    0|0
  • I have never understood the concept of taking a break, either you want to be with someone or you dont. It's that simple nobody has time for the mind game crap.

0|2
    0|0
  • I imagine you saying to your boyfriend in Rosh's voice "WE'RE ON A BREAK" after he finds out lol sorry not sorry

1|1
    0|0
    • My first thought too. Ross was right of course, Hugh Laurie even agreed in his British voice.

• Sorry my English.
    Well, I think yes because if you have a date with a guy with intentions, then you want someone with he.
    For what you want get out with a "friend"?
    For forget? Just enjoy? Make " envy" to you "ex" boyfriend? Think more your actions, don't let anything think for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are broken up.

What he's essentially said is that he wants to explore his options for a while, but wants you waiting there for him in case it doesn't work out for him.

There is no such thing as a break.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. A "break" in a relationship involves a hiatus in any and all responsibilities until the relationship is reinitiated. That said, he'll probably still be offended if you date anyone more well-endowed than he.

0|0
    0|0
  • Break means you can do anything and everything, and for most guys it means they want to screw around with other chicks then come back when they're lonely again.

0|0
    0|0
  • If your man is pushing you away cuz he wants to get to know himself kind of dumb reason.

1|0
    0|0
  • ASK HIM BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!! I could go either way but you don't want to risk ruining something

0|0
    0|0
  • You know what's right and wrong, don't expect to hear what you want to hear from an app. I'd say it's cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion no he is asking you to wait for him while he goes and has fun he sounds too immature for a relationship anyway and let him know you deserve better

0|1
    0|0
  • You need to chat with the boyfriend and clarify the relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel like if you're on a break then you guys are no longer together so therefore have fun

2|0
    0|1
  • A break in this context would not keep you under any obligations to not entertain other suitors

2|0
    0|1
  • make things with ur partner clear first, and if u decude to break up. u can date the guy. if u managed to stay together. dont

0|0
    0|0
  • I think he's trying to have the best of both worldwide you to come back to if he can't find something better. Take it official so you feel better and go date the new guy

0|0
    0|0
  • I have had the same issue my now ex-girlfriend she wanted to take a break and do the same thing I felt weird and stayed faithful while I am positive she went and played me

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes