How to have a successful long distance relationship?

What are some tips/necessary things you need in a long distance relationship to make it work out? Any advice or actual experience would be super helpful

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m in one right now.
    1. You have to ensure that you meet up every now and again, I usually meet up with my boyfriend once a month for a weekend at a time usually.

2. Have some kind of future plan, not a “maybe one day in our lives we’ll live near each other/together”. If you don’t it can go awry as you both end up wondering just where on Earth is this relationship even gonna go when there’s no plan. Not to mention if there is a future plan of being together then there is something for you two to look forward to and quite often time goes faster that way.

3. Communicate - can’t stress this enough, it’s super important that you communicate with your partner about what’s going on or how you’re really feeling. This goes for any relationship but especially long distance. You have to be honest.

0|2
    0|0
  • In my experience a definite time line when you are able to move to a short distance relationship is crucial. If it's just "well see and maybe some day", it doesn't seem like something to work for. Also both people need to be a 100% in it and make equal effort. Communication is key and using today's technology makes it that much easier. And taking the chance to see one another whenever the opportunity arises. Either meeting halfway or visiting each other. It shows commitment to make it happen.

I've had failed long distance relationships and a long distance relationship were we fought through it and made it into a short distance relationship.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Both need to be mature, both need to have unbelievable communication skills. If one lacks this it usually doesn't work out. Communication is so important where one might need a lot and the other may need more... either way both need to know the difference and provide that due to the circumstances of being so far away. Long distance relationships are not normal and there is really nothing to prepare you for it. Both people will feel differently about being so far apart and both of you need to recognize those differences and provide that extra comfort if need be. So good luck to you.. it can be done.. it's just tough.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Let's be real. You both need to be with each other. You need to touch them and you need to smell them. If you want a long distance relationship to work. You somehow need to make seeing each other possible.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's literally impossible...

In all seriousness you just both have to be: super open and honest, willing to wait until you can be together in person, and be able to trust one another. It would also be good if you both could see eachother in person at least sometimes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Long distance relationships are almost impossible unless there's a really good reason for them. And still don't expect the other person to be faithful until you are together.

0|0
    0|0
  • Trust patience willingness to go on, staying in touch regularly

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely meet in person and build on that connection... if you haven't actually met and have no soon plans to do so, it probably won't work.

0|0
    0|0
  • In long distance relationship I just need support, care, sharing things and talking about everything

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea... I just hate long distance relationships

0|1
    0|0
  • Em
    Constant communication
    Loyalty and commitment

0|0
    0|0
  • Trust without trust nothing is possible

0|0
    0|0
  • Be prepared to travel to see them a couple times a year at minimum. There has to be an in person dynamic in order for it to actually work.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes