How do you proceed when family doesn't support it?

We've been together a month and 2 weeks. She is about a year younger than me. I know this girl comes from what I'd say a broken and sketchy family. She has some minor depression issues from it. I come from a very good and well off family as I'd put it. We get along really well together and I've never once sensed that she was taking advantage of me or playing me for my money status.
So I introduced her to my mom (my sister told me she liked her and hoped she stayed with me) and now everything has just been a shit show at my house. My sister now says I need to get rid of her. They say she's immature, promiscuous (she has had a lot of past relationships and said she has been tested), taking advantage of me so she can escape her family, she insults me, pushes me away, broken family, etc. I just don't see it in her and I can't get myself to break up with her. She is so sweet and doesn't act trashy like she came from a bad family. She is really successful at school too. No one but my sis said I should break up with her but the constant screaming matches are pissing me off.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• These situations are honestly the hardest because it's literally pining the people you care the most against each other. Considering you introduced her to your family, you're both taking this relationship seriously. Only your family doesn't think you are (even if you reassure them), just because they think "you can do better".

I'd say you need to step away from everything for a second and just think: Does she make you happy more than angry/frustrated? Can you imagine life without her? Whenever something good happens to you, is she the first person you want to tell? Does she feel the same about you? If you can surely say yes to all of the above, I'd say she's worth fighting for. To what extreme is your own call.

I wouldn't suggest going as far as cutting ties with your family etc. because they clearly want the best (from their perspective) as well. Stay strong and have open communication with your girlfriend so that there's no room for miscommunication. Families love to pick at the miscommunication areas and try to pry you apart at the start. Your girlfriend probably feels the most vulnerable here because the person she cares about's family is so disapproving of her. Make sure she knows how much she means to you and just keep going if you decide she's worth it.

Overtime if you stay strong, your family will come around. They should rather have a happy son than anything else. Stay strong dude!

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes