How do you tell you parents that you are dating someone?

I'm 22 years old and never had a girlfriend before, I've known this girl for 5 years now through online bit we started meeting up etc and we've become close over that past few months to a point where we both decided we should date. However her mum knows about her but my family don't really know I'm so close with her and especially not for 5 years. I've explained to her that I need to tell my parents about her etc and if she'd give me some time to work my way around to it because my parents are quite old fashioned like dating someone 1 hour away is not normal. Also she's American and black too which again isn't normal for my family who have dated white people forever. Im just struggling to bring up the idea to them and I feel if I wait too long this girl is going to not be interested and rightly so.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Your parents will accept her mate, and if not, you are fucking 22, an adult who is allowed to make his own choises! Also knowing her for 5 years shows that there is something serious about this! Your family could maybe even learn from you guys, that not EVERYONE dates his/her own race which is fine and cool! Go for it man, write me if you need help. I got your back ! :) My ex is black too ;)

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you mate much appreciated! It's just more telling them about a girl really

• But why would they have a problem with their 22 year old son having a gf? It's maybe about time ;)!

• thanks bro

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe that your parents will accept her

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• That reminds me how my parents reacted when I came out to them as polyamorous. Should not have done that. I wished I just had kept my love life from them...

0|0
    0|0
  • Lemme give you a quick dialogue on how you're going to do it.
    'hey mum and dad, I've got a girlfriend'
    Easy as that. No need to mention her ethnicity its irrelevent. If they can't handle that than blimey

0|0
    0|0
  • i'd recommend talking to your mom first. she is ok with it your dad will be ok with it i kinda went through same thing

0|0
    0|0
  • Your parents should be supportive of your decision whether or not they like it is there problem but they love you and would die for you so just go for it because the longer you hide things the longer they are not going to like it

0|0
    0|0
  • I told my mother "I have a girlfriend" and didn't say anything to me dad. We were together for 3 month and broke up 2 month ago. He still has no clue...

0|0
    0|0
    • The message :"if you can't talk to your parents about it, just don't tell them. Won't make it more complicated"

• I suggest inviting all concerned to dinner and or a movie. Don't mention the heritage thing directly.

Try to play it stupid to be able to keep it simple. Good luck buddy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take up with her and worry about what your family will think later.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just bring her next time got visit your parents. That's how mine find out

0|0
    0|0
  • uh huh

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

move to israel!

0|0
    0|0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes