Feeling like a fraud for being misperceived?

I’m 5’8 slender with some curve and long hair. I wear dresses most of the time, always have some minimal makeup on. No false lashes or contour, never had manicure.

My outfits are usually under $100. I’m soft spoken, a little bit reserved, I smile all the time and talk openly to everybody. I read and paint as hobbies, hardly go out because I work 2 jobs.

Somehow the way I carry myself tends to give people the impression that I come from a higher up social class and I get mistaken for either doing well financially or currently dating someone with money.

I know we shouldn’t care what people think, but it affects my dating life. Being constantly told “you’re from a different class” and “you’re too polish” make me feel like a fraud. It makes me afraid I unintentionally deceive people into thinking that i’m doing better than I actually am.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• You've got the mojo, and you've got the swag. People will hate you for that no doubt. But you shouldn't be depressed. Look at the bright side not the dark side. Some people are just born to be jealous.

I was in the Marines. I learned how to accept my "off duty police" vibe.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I run into a similar thing pretty frequently, and people won't approach because they're intimidated or I seem standoffish. The right person will see you as you are, it's important to be true to who you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • You worry too much. You’re just being yourself, if people misread you it’s their problem, not yours.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I dont see anything wrong with you, if you really care so much you can always tell them the facts, this is honestly why my broke ass dresses like a broke ass even tho i have designer and shit, im broke im not ganna wear the unless like its a special event or something, i have a pack of 6 white v necks, i wear em and some jeans and thats it some simple plain shit, many girl even like it so over that proves that why should you care what people say about you and how you look

0|0
    0|0
  • You shouldn't feel bad because others perceive you as doing well. You sound like you work very hard to get what you have. So there's nothing wrong with dressing nice especially if it makes you feel good. As far as what people think of you don't let it bother you because you can't control it.

0|0
    0|0
  • So your plan is to dress trashy and act like a slob because you think people will like you? That is not good logic. Find someone who is not intimidated by class.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only thing I can say is that I'm amazed. If you can make a 100$ outfit look like 2k+... you got the touch, you got the power.

0|0
    0|0
  • Homestly, anyone that's put off by that is the one with the problem

0|0
    0|0
  • Try to find someone that would not be intimidated. Don't feel bad about who you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • However if you're not unkempt then you're doing great for yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • I like this type lady

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes