How often do people get into relationships just so they're not alone?

I'm starting to wonder how common it is for people to date or get into relationships just so they're not alone. For example, I know quite a lot of people who will end one LTR, and then within 2-3 months be in a new relationship with another person. I don't know if it's just my standards are too high, but how is it possible to meet someone that quickly who you both like AND are compatible with? It takes me months, sometimes years to find someone like that, and I imagine it's truly hard for most people to find someone who really "gets" them. So how common is it, in your experience, for people to date just so they're "not alone"?

1731

Most Helpful Guy

• Well sadly from my own observations, it is very common and is becoming more and more common for this to happen. The reality is that people nowadays are so alienated from reality and from themselves in general, that they cannot even enjoy being by themselves anymore. Also holywood and their whole romantic comedy movies are to blame, they sell a very wrong idea of what a relationship is, because they selectively will show only the bright side to it, and while i cannot contest that the bright side of a relationship is amazing, a relationship isnยดt made only of bright and amazing moments, but from bad moments also, but majority enter only knowing about the bright side, and the bright side can indeed be a very appealing reason to enter a relationship.

• Iโ€™ve seen it too. My youngest father is an example of it. He was not even out of our relationship yet when he started his next. I moved out and the next day he moved her in and it was official. I later found out she had gotten out of a two year relationship (she was engaged to him and he broke it off) 2 weeks before she moved in.
      I also have coworkers who breakup with a guy and later that night or the next day have a new man.

• Sorry I donโ€™t know why it posted this under your comment.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not about standards and you're totally right. A loooot of people nowadays don't understand relationships and think they're just for fun or to make them happy. Although a lot of times a good relationship can face problems which both partners have to work on. But people who get into a relationship just for the sake of being in one would rather break up to be happy with someone else... temporarily. Until they lose all hope in people and relationships just because they don't understand their responsibilities in the relationship.