How often do people get into relationships just so they're not alone?

I'm starting to wonder how common it is for people to date or get into relationships just so they're not alone. For example, I know quite a lot of people who will end one LTR, and then within 2-3 months be in a new relationship with another person. I don't know if it's just my standards are too high, but how is it possible to meet someone that quickly who you both like AND are compatible with? It takes me months, sometimes years to find someone like that, and I imagine it's truly hard for most people to find someone who really "gets" them. So how common is it, in your experience, for people to date just so they're "not alone"?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well sadly from my own observations, it is very common and is becoming more and more common for this to happen. The reality is that people nowadays are so alienated from reality and from themselves in general, that they cannot even enjoy being by themselves anymore. Also holywood and their whole romantic comedy movies are to blame, they sell a very wrong idea of what a relationship is, because they selectively will show only the bright side to it, and while i cannot contest that the bright side of a relationship is amazing, a relationship isnยดt made only of bright and amazing moments, but from bad moments also, but majority enter only knowing about the bright side, and the bright side can indeed be a very appealing reason to enter a relationship.

3|0
    0|0
    • Iโ€™ve seen it too. My youngest father is an example of it. He was not even out of our relationship yet when he started his next. I moved out and the next day he moved her in and it was official. I later found out she had gotten out of a two year relationship (she was engaged to him and he broke it off) 2 weeks before she moved in.
      I also have coworkers who breakup with a guy and later that night or the next day have a new man.

• Sorry I donโ€™t know why it posted this under your comment.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not about standards and you're totally right. A loooot of people nowadays don't understand relationships and think they're just for fun or to make them happy. Although a lot of times a good relationship can face problems which both partners have to work on. But people who get into a relationship just for the sake of being in one would rather break up to be happy with someone else... temporarily. Until they lose all hope in people and relationships just because they don't understand their responsibilities in the relationship.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• that depends who you know and what kind of standards you have.

Im pretty simple:

- he has to be religious
    - he has to be virtuous
    - he has to be intelligent or very independent
    - he has to be hard working
    - he has to be loyal and sexually pure
    - he has to be nice
    - he has to be interested in starting a family
    - he has to be taller than me or have a gorgeous face

I know TONS of guys who meet my standards - TONS!!

1|0
    0|0
  • 90% of them but they do not see it or realise it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well in my case can say yes because I thought myself as a trash who never get someone so i was trying to give up everything to not to lose that b*tch so i won't feel alone but after destroying myself i realize loneliness is not a curse we just need to have patience and now i have a girl who rebuild me and made me realize that everyone deserves best and she's perfect for me she's really precious to me๐Ÿ˜

1|0
    0|0
    • You're really precious for me me too baby and very very very special also ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’— I love you ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• Very common. I have never found someone I'm compatible with from a personality view. Also it seems like your standards are high. Most people don't really care about anything but how their significant other performs in bed and financialy. This is why they're in a new relationship every other month. To find someone who you are truly mentally connect with is something I've never had.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did it once because I was going through a rough patch and was very depressed. She was interested in me and asked me out, and without thinkig it through, I said yes. She ended up breaking it up due to her being Chrisian and me... not, and I'm happy she did because I wasn't very happy but couldn't bring myself to break it up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know a lot of guys and girls who do that a lot but I definitely donโ€™t! Iโ€™d rather be single than be in a relationship for the sake of not being single and alone. To me, being in such a relationship is unfair to both people and is just cruel!

0|0
    0|0
  • Iโ€™ve seen it too. My youngest father is an example of it. He was not even out of our relationship yet when he started his next. I moved out and the next day he moved her in and it was official. I later found out she had gotten out of a two year relationship (she was engaged to him and he broke it off) 2 weeks before she moved in.
    I also have coworkers who breakup with a guy and later that night or the next day have a new man.

0|0
    0|0
  • Very often! I noticed that too! I tend to go on "dry spells" after a relationship. It gives me time to evaluate myself and what that previous relationship was about.

There are enough people who just can't stand to be alone. I think they don't want to get acquainted with who they really are, as a single individual. So they look to others to fill in a void.
    Take away the physical, and that person may not bring too much to the table.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not many guys/girls understand about relationship. I know what are the red flags and what are the green flag is. true love is hard to find but you have put patient to find Mr right. I only found one person for me and that is enough for me. I know I what i want in man. traits loyal , trustworthy , honest. be good dancer. his personality.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never been in a relationship... I never felt alone just bc I'm not in relationship.. I'm not ready for it yet.. I have lot of female friends... I talk to them on regular basis... So I never got that feeling.. I'm looking for a life time partner so i hope i don't have multiple relationships in future..

0|0
    0|0
  • All the time more than half of this country is on antipsychotics of some sort and since it's illegal to live a life that's conducive to a healthy happy satisfying life that is productive we all choose to destroy ourselves with meaningless relationships and empty Ventures

0|0
    0|0
  • Happens a lot. People get bored being single and it's much more fun to enjoy falling in love or just having someone to "hit up"

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion, everytime!
    Infact the marriage is itself an escape from living alone. And it's not bad, being I'm groups is what makes human civilised and lays down the foundation of civilizations. Same as being in group make us more secure, confident and give us the sense of being socially acceptable. I personally never understand this need and feel very happy as loner. Even though I do not hold any low view about others who do, infact sometimes I wonder myself, what is wrong with me. :/

0|0
    0|0
  • I think some of them is just trying out if it works thats why they switch from one to another so fast. But i think they forgot that in order for relationship to work is not just about compatibility but also about hard work from both parties.

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea on the actual numbers but it seems like, based on media shoving it down our throats, that at least 50% of relationships are born from somebody being afraid of being alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be like that. It's mostly because they're bored and they don't have enough to do throughout the day. If you out in the effort and are always busy you won't feel like that

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't bring myself to do it. I take relationships pretty seriously, and loneliness isn't a reason to get into one just because

0|0
    0|0
  • I've seen so many of my friends do this and it drives me nuts. Rather just pick somebody and settle then have a good relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • Ithink that a lot of people do this. Before you date someone, you have to make sure that you're doing it for all of the right reasons

0|0
    0|0
  • Never done it, never want to. I don't get the appeal really, it's like people can't be alone these days they have to be with someone

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually never dated someone just because I don't want to be alone. I'd rather be alone than with someone I can't vibe with.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a friend too same case without her i think they feel alone reply they really need someone for caring or sporting

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do you wonder about this stuff? Are you bored and just trying to find something interested to do? There's your answer. Yes it happens a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sadly, you're right. I also have friends who switch from a relationship to another, but I think this is not true love... they just feel alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's quite common but a huge mistake that most regret

0|0
    0|0
  • To often. But itโ€™s realizing that your not meant for each other that doesnโ€™t happen enough or quickly enough once a relationship starts

0|0
    0|0
  • As per as i hav seen a lottt does that but may b they realise dt its working out fr dm so dey move on wd their loved ones...

0|0
    0|0
  • Unfortunately this is more common than it should be people want to feel needed

1|0
    0|0
  • More often than you think.
    Humans are social creatures were not meant to be alone.
    They get tired of being alone.

I think a lot of people want to be in relationships but they don't work at having a healthy one.

Then wonder why they aren't happy?

There's so much more to a relationship.
    How they treat you over all.
    How they make you feel about yourself
    What are the things that they do that are special that support you and lift you up.
    How they make you feel.
    How they interact with you daily.
    Most importantly, do they respect and have your back 24/7.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never done it. People who do that sort of shit have hella emotional issues.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think very often sometimes ur so alone that u will take anyone

0|0
    0|0
  • I would be one of those people, my answer is not as often as id like.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm probably doing this now

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i have. Did not go well. See ya

0|0
    0|0
  • All the time. It's sad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Very common among young girls (<25)

0|0
    0|0
  • not me

0|0
    0|0
  • In a few hours

0|0
    0|0
  • Too often

0|0
    0|0
  • i think to often

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe %30

0|0
    0|0
  • Its because their mind feels like that

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably 98% of the time

0|0
    0|0
  • No sure I can't even get a guy to ask me out..โ˜นโ˜น

0|0
    0|0
  • For me like 80% of the relationships I get into are because Iโ€™m scared of being alone. Sometimes I do end up falling for them but not often

0|0
    0|0
  • Often people look for relationships with preset standards in mind, I think you should try new personalities, or just keep an open mind. I'm not saying to not have preferences, just to try something new. It is common for people to get into relationships to not be alone but those relationships aren't long term since they're based on not being alone.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes