The military is taking my boyfriend and my brother. What is a good idea for a good luck charm for them both?

My boyfriend is re-enlisting in the Air Force and my brother is going into the Air Force as well but it's his first time. Since this is my brothers first time, I want to give him something so he can remember his family when he's at basic training. I also want to get something for my boyfriend since he is re-enlisting. I have quite a few family members that served so I know that anything from a note, a picture, a necklace, or a crayon served as a good luck charm.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• when i went on my first tour my nan gave me a little crystal/glass angel, my dad gave me a silver locket with pictures inside of both my nan and grandad who served during ww2. my mum gave me a silver st Christopher necklace. i was also given a little poppy medallion by my brother.

i kept all of these in a little pouch that i wore around my neck at all times.

im not very superstitious but they rally did help when times got hard.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I love how you say the military is taking them then you say they enlisted... 🤷‍♀️

But I gave my friends friendship bracelet key chains since they couldn’t wear them as a bracelet. And they put it on their gear. One of them came home last year, he had lost an arm but when I went to see him, he pulled the bracelet I made him and said, “can you tie this on me now?”

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• They could always use another Bouncy House on "deployment."

0|1
    0|0
    • Haha funny. I know they'll be okay. It's being away from them that is hard. My brother used to leave for months at a time when he was playing basketball. If anything, basic training will make him more mature. I'm actually more worried about my boyfriend. Before, he was in the Army and he was an Airborne Ranger. He loved it so much that he chose to re-enlist in the Air Force instead of Army. I imagine he will be doing something similar to a Ranger just like before.

• I don't know if Air Force basic is the same as the Marines but all civilian items and clothes will be deposited in a safebox. He won't see them until the day he graduates.

-Former Marine 0331

2|0
    0|0
  • Maybe give them a small pendant, if they're religious at all maybe a cross. (or some symbol from whatever religion they believe in), maybe a small bracelet or something,

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s the Air Force... Seriously, they're going to be fine...

1|1
    0|0
    • Haha very funny. I know they'll be okay. It's being away from them that is hard. My boyfriend was an Airborne Ranger in the Army for two years. He liked being a Ranger so much that I think that's why he chose to re-enlist in the Air Force. I know my brother will be okay but I'm actually more worried about my boyfriend. Even though he always tells me not to worry.

• Show All
    • We don't know yet. The ASVAB said he would make a good tech or mechanic.

• Undesignated... that could be trouble

• A letter and a coin engraved with a message relevant to the person (optional to have it pierced for on a necklace or integrated into a bracelet)

1|0
    0|0
  • My parents are ex air force.
    Did you know that the Air Force has the highest avg IQ of any service branch

2|0
    0|0
  • Something personal and small that will fit in a pocket so they can sock it away.

1|0
    0|0
  • sum type of ring or pin

1|0
    0|0
  • Monogrammed bullet proof vests

1|0
    0|0
  • Sorry... I really don't believe in good luck charms..

0|0
    0|0
    • Then don't answer. It's not the fact that it's a good luck charm. It's like a pendant that they have at all times that helps when they're so far away.

Recommended myTakes