He said the worst possible thing to me & I don't know if I can get over it?

I care about him A LOT. I know he cares about me. But he said a very hurtful comment that hit one of my sore spots and I don't think he even realizes how deeply it hurt me. I've always received discouraging comments from people telling me that I'm not smart enough to succeed in life. People doubted that I could graduate high school and eventually college. I did both and maintained an 88% average in all my classes. But still somewhere deep inside I often question my intelligence because all I ever heard was that I was stupid. It hurts me to this day even though I know it's not true. Well he made a comment that implied I wasn't the smartest person in the world and it just brought back all these negative memories. I think he just said it jokingly and he doesn't know about my past, but I don't know if I can forgive that. I need some words of advice please :)

19

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, let him know that's a sensitive subject with you. I'm guessing he was saying it in a joking tone.

I have the opposite problem. People tell me I'm smart often (probably because of the glasses), and so they are typically less apt to explain things to me. I have to make sure to let people know that I don't know what they're talking about to get the whole story.

Intelligence is truly in the eye of the beholder much like beauty. The only thing that really makes someone unintelligent is an unwillingness to learn and change.

You may have had to work harder than most in school but you are by no means a dummy because you chose to learn.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell him you're hurt by his remarks.

It's unfair to say 'i can't forgive him' if he didn't know and you didn't tell him.