How to slowly convince someone that monogamy can be beautiful?

Turns out the guy I’ve been seeing thinks monogamy is stupid. What can I do to help him change his mind? And for those of you who are going to say that I can’t, please don’t post an opinion here.

214

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm not saying you can't, but I will just outline some challenges, which maybe will help you identify strategies:
    - its pretty likely he actually was raised being taught monogamy was normal and wonderful. maybe not? But it's unlikely he's never -considered- monogamy. He's most likely -rejected- monogamy. If I were to use an example, this isn't like preaching the gospel to people who've never heard of jesus, this is like convincing someone who -left- a church to come back. That's quite a bit harder. You would need to specifically address -why- he rejected monogamy, not just say 'here are nice things about it'.
    - It doesn't sound like either of you actually are looking to settle down, which is one reason some people may slow down their sleeping around.
    - I've never actually seen a player stop being a player because he fell in love. They stop being a player when they make a conscious decision 'okay, time to get married and have kids'. Then they look for someone with specific traits they want for that. I'm not saying it's never happened, but I -really- doubt it.
    - if the reason he is anti-monogamy is that he thinks most monogamous relationships are just anti-jealousy pacts, i'd agree with him. Do you want to be monogamous simply so you don't have to imagine him with anyone else, or do you want monogamy because you actually want a relationship where you really honestly try to meet almost all of each other's sexual desires? That's a different offer from just 'how bout we just stop doing something we like (sex with others)' and replace it with nothing, but get to not be jealous'

• Really good points. It’s not a jealousy thing for me, I just feel that I could give him my everything and I believe that that could be enough. I know he has a lot of trust issues and stuff, a lot of family drama, parents are divorced etc so it could be that he’s given up on that idea because he’s witnessed his parents cheat. He’s described his dream girl and I’m literally every single thing that he’s described from looks to personality. I just want to be enough for him because I know he is enough for me and more

• He just hasn't found The One yet. Show him you are The One and he'll change his tune. A lot of guys will only commit if they have to.

• How can I show him I’m the one? I’m taking things slow, and every time we hang out I can see in his eyes that he likes me more and more. It just threw me off when he said “I’m hoping by the way I talk about things you understand my level of commitment, I’m not trying to come off as a dick.” And I said “well it’s not like I’m trying to rush and make you my boyfriend, if that happens on it’s own then great, if not, 🤷🏼‍♀️. Just trying to see where life takes us on it’s own” and he was like “yeah I totally agree”.

• Thank you for being so helpful! We’ve been hanging out a lot recently, as we progress it becomes less about the sex and the physical attraction, and more about who we are and what we want and personality stuff. I honestly think we would be great together, I haven’t met anyone who’s made me feel like this this fast— ever.

• You have The One, then. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll reel him in.