When is the right time to move in together?

My boyfriend and I are currently 7 months together (since the official date) and he was offered a job from his current boss in another city. He is taking it because the benefits are amazing and its a great step in life.
He wants me and my 3 year old (soon to be 4) son to come with him. Financally it makes sense, and his boss has been baragaining with him for this move and with all the benefits (A work truck, rent paid for a year, a work phone, salary with 52% raise then what he currently has, included moving, etc) his boss offered me a job as well as included in on his rent and daycare coverage as he assumed we were a package deal. This all sounds great for both of us and my son.

But with only dating for 7 months (Will be 9 when we move in together) Im hoping it doesn't take a toll on our relationship. When is too soon? What opinions are there for moving in with someone? I have never lived with a relationship and have no clue.

Thanks in advance!

23

Most Helpful Girl

• I only ever moved in after dating guys for a couple years first.

How is your man around your son?

That would be my biggest concern.

Will you have money saved to get out quick if you need to?

• Yes our relationship is 50/50 so i tend to care for my son and i myself. I currently live on my own and can support myself currently; moving in would save money as half rent, half bills etc - but my income would increase with my new job.

he's very good around my son. As he isn't the birth father, he's spoken to me clearly what he would like; as in he doesn't want to be a father figure until he is married; but he would rather be a rolemodel. My son calls him his best friend and is always excited to see him. My boyfriend has no problem helping him out or guiding him or spending time with him but parenting is done up to me - if something is struggling (ex. My son hitting because he's 3.) Then he will tell me his opinion on it but not enforce himself. I find he's really respectful and encourages my son a lot.
      Taught him to skate, plays ball, got him a bike, as some to speak.

• What you will find is you can't really have a man in the house like that and him not become a father figure, so you're both going to have to get real and figure out what that's going to mean. Him saying he's going to stand back is one thing but when you have a real three year old with needs, he can't play hands off. He is going to have to step up to the plate. You can't reason with a three year old. They don't understand the nuances of adult relationships. Whether he calls your boyfriend Dad or not, he is going to be that child's adult male protector figure. Your son deserves a man who is all-in.

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend and I moved in together after 7 months and everything has been good so far