Me and my boyfriend both have depression and I don't know what to do?

So me and my boyfriend recently just started dating but i knew him for about a year and i realized before me and him got together our depression was jusy getting worse and now its kinda out of control and i dont know what to do. I love him so much its just scary...

29

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not a psychologist, but as far as I know depression is caused by one or both of two things:
    1) Lack of certain chemicals in the body. See a specialist for that.
    2) Lack of meaning in life. If this is the case, join the search.

Depression caused by lack of meaning is a growing global epidemic. But once you start actively searching for it, you are part of the sollution. You won't get better immediately. You might even feel worse at times, but you will be alive as long as you keep searching. And one day, you might find it.

• Im in counciling but it doesn't really seem to do anything anymore

• I think counceling is like all medical help.

It helps the body heal, looks after it along the way, puts some parts in place, takes some out if needed. But in the end the body heals itself.

It's not quite the same with the mind. I think that requires conscious efforts to really get better.

The doctor can't make your journey for you. Seek meaningful, purposeful activity. What ever it is for you at the moment.

• Oh, and it's not quite so obvious, but the most important thing is that a meaningful activity should connect you to others in a positive way. The root of depression and aimlessness is the lack of psitive connection between you and others.

That's what I believe anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• I hope this works out. Usually its hard when both people in a relationship have a mental illness. My best friend has bipolar depression and her boyfriend has anxiety and whenever it gets too much she comes to talk to me. It can work. Stay strong. I'm also dealing with my own mental health problems so I can understand to some extent what you're going through. I wish the best for you in your relationship :)