Is it okay to still be friends w your ex after eveything that as happened inside a relationship?

ok well i dated this one guy last year and he was pretty rude when we broke up we only lasted a month and he broke up w me like “ im sorry but im out homie” well it hurt bc the next day his friends were teasing me about it. Later few weeks pass and we started to talk again and we became really close and we talked about what happened and he said he was truly sorry for what he made me feel at that time , so then we slowly started to become really close , bestfriend wise. Um we got out of school and all summer we talked bestfriend wise and getting to know each other more, we go back in to school and i found out he had been hanging out w this one girl and that they had kissed which shattered me. So i completely stopped talking to him and he ask why and i told him what i had found out and he said it aasnt true , i let it i go. let me keep this short he ended up dating my ew bestfriend * she was my bestfriend at the time* well i completely stopped talking to both and then me and him catched up and we started to talk while he was w my bestfriend, then he breaks up w her *i also broke up w my boyfriend at the time* and a few weeks past we ended up dating , everything was good i was friends w his friends, and it was a good time but since now we are off to knew school for graduation he dumped me in a way bc he said he wants to focus whats to come for him and that he still wants to see me succeed in life and he would still like me in his life bc i always will mean something to him bc he has never liked a girl how he likes me , no mayter what happens we both seem to have something that attracts to us. right now at this moment we still talk and i would call it that we are close friends. but it is okay to just stay as friends after everything?
(p. s im actually good w just being friends bc i understand my self bc school and staying focus about whats to come is a big thing for me too)

02