Second date with a French man, no physical contact?

I've been seeing a French man for a week, and we met twice already. I can tell he really likes me, and I do like him too. For example, after the first date, he never stops texting and asking me out, everyday he is checking my schedule and telling me what does he do. When we are together he is gazing me all the time and I can see the sparks in his eyes, etc. And I also feel he is doing an exclusive date, but I'm actually seeing couples of guys at the same time.
But the thing I am concerning is that there is no physical contact at all so far. I don't know if it is a cultural thing or he is just shy, he acts quite respectful, even we are hitting up well but he has never had any physical contact except greeting. But when we talk and walk we are very very close. So I wonder if he is trying to keep it slow? And I don't know if I should keep the temple too or move forward.
ps. I heard a kiss means a start for a relationship in France, is that true?

01