When it comes to dating advice, do you trust your parents or your friends more?

When it comes to dating advice, do you trust your parents or your friends more?
  • Parents
    Vote A
  • Friends
    Vote B
  • Both Parents and Friends are not a good source of advice
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|3

Most Helpful Guy

• Frankly, I just trust my instincts and be myself.
    Good advice from anyone is most welcome as matter of fact, but being myself with her, is more important, otherwise I would be wearing a mask that will eventually fall down one day, or I will be doing what other people are already doing, thus imitating others, and it is not me.
    Dating phase should be crystal clear about who you really are so the person you are dating could know you. No matter how much imperfections we have, they are someone else's perfections. Hiding them will do no good.
    If I feel like gifting her a book instead of a red rose, then it will be for a reason and useful. If she appreciates it more than a rose, then you are good, otherwise, it is better to be done with it from the first date in my own honest opinion.
    Parents have different point of views as for they are from a different generation.
    Friends may have each their own advices too.

My Answer:
    You can listen to advice from everybody, but follow your own instinct and be yourself.

0|1
    0|0
    • You have really good opinions on GAG.. keep up the good work man! Your killing it!

• Thank you my friend.
      I am glad I am useful and helpful to others as for I have joined this community aiming to help.
      Sharing my own personal experience too so other people could learn from the mistakes I have made, why not?

Again, thank you!!

Most Helpful Girl

• I follow all of my mom's relationship advice because she's the only one I actually open up to about that stuff. I don't have friends that I am close enough with to feel comfortable discussing private matters like that.
    My mom gives great advice and she's very empathetic and reasonable in her approach to things. We think very similarly, as well, so we can often come to agreements.
    Plus, she's "older and wiser," and my friends don't know anything about relationships anyway since they're all single.

2|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• My mother is 87 years old and is not a source of dating advice!

0|4
    0|0
  • Hmm probably parents but i mean i make my mind up, if i feel they're right i wouldn't let there opinion stop me from seeing them.

0|2
    0|0
  • I trust my friends more for sex/dating advice (date ideas, how to spice things up...) and my dad/brother/sis in law for core relationship advice (eg. "This happened... can I get your take on it and how I should approach the issue?")

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither. My mom lets guys take advantage of her. My dad has lots of baby mamas. My friends all cheat on their bfs/gfs. So nope none

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, friends, but only a little bit more.

For one thing, my parents stopped dating when Eisenhower was in office. Things changed since then...

On the other hand, they both made wise and loving decisions, given their 51 year marriage and that they very much loved each other.

My friends haven't been quite so successful (then again, most of humanity hasn't), but they were more up-to-date.

0|1
    0|0
  • Advice in terms of getting dates - definitely not my parents. Mum used to think I just need to show up dressed "pretty" and the boys will come to the yard. Friends gave me more practical advice.
    Relationship advice - both equal.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't talk to my parents about dating because I've never dated anyone seriously or seen it significant enough to talk to them about. I don't want them asking me about a dude who is liking going out of my life soon.

My friends I'm more comfortable talking with about my dating situation ships.

Maybe when I'm more serious about a guy and have introduced him to them I'll seek advice of my parents more.

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe friend are a great help especially because they are dating too and they know what's going on. Parents are good advice too especially for mistakes done o the past.

But the ultimate beatis the Bible. I've learned so much about the character traits to find in a partner that have helped me find a great guy

1|1
    0|0
  • I trust my parents more. If I need advice, I'll ask both my friends and my parents depending on the specific issues, but my parents give better advice more often than not. They've been through more, they've learned more, they're more mature. Like no offense to some of my friends, but they give terrible advice. Of course, this would all depend on how mature and healthy your parents are. I have friends with parents who are in their 40s and still dealing with the same drama they were in their 20s.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am a 61 year old full time professional qualified relationship expert, so I do not need advice from anyone. Both of my parents made a total mess of their marriages and were clueless, age is no guarantee that a person has wisdom or sense or even experience. http://www.accuratepsychicreadingsonline.com

0|0
    0|1
  • My parents are rational people who have had a loving relationshop for 26 years, he proposed after 5 weeks of dating. Trust them completely. People my age are dating illiterate or just not looking for what I'm looking for so their advice often doesn't apply to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I trust any of them to tell me if they think someone is a prick and I’m wearing blinkers- as their first impressions tend to be right, particularly my brother as he is dry and brutally honest.

However, my parents are each other’s only boyfriend/girlfriend before they married, which is lovely, but not what I’ve been through. I have older friends who give cracking advice, and I give advice a lot too- I think remembering your own advice is super important as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Parents freak out and friends ruin our relationships. Trust your gut

2|1
    0|0
  • When I was younger I listened to my friends, now I tend to listen to my parents. My mom is one of the most non judgmental people I know. She's pretty good at being unbiased

0|1
    0|0
  • I listen to what my friends and family have to say and acknowledge but in the end I always go with my gut/intuition and what I feel. This way has never steered me wrong lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both are good, simply because they have already been through sht and know what to do and not. Friends know how to date in the modern world tho, so both are good sources

0|2
    0|0
  • My dad told me I should stay straight because that's "easier" and you make more friends that way. He's in an abusive relationship and has always gone for women of the same caliber.

My mum gave me some of her old lingerie (clean) when she found out I was going out to meet a guy. And celebrated when I told her I like girls too, cause that meant I wouldn't get pregnant as early as she did. Her last relationship was abusive, and her current one, she's the abuser while he's just a fuckwit.

My younger friends judge my choice in partners, and the rest dont ask.

If I need advice I'll ask whoever I trust more in that moment, but either way I'm taking that advice with a grain of salt. I trust my own judgement.

0|1
    0|0
  • Why would anyone trust their friends more? Your parents are actually wise your friends dont know shit...

0|1
    0|0
    • That can be true but sometimes parents have agendas for their kids when it comes to their partners.

• Well yeah and in most cases the agenda is for you to find someone thats good for you. It just kills me because my ex used to make snarky comments about how I would talk to my dad if me and her were fighting because his advice is usually pretty spot on its as if he can predict the future... but she would ask her friends for advice and its what I think ultimately killed our relationship.

• Neither. I don't 'date' for a start (I find the whole dating scene really superficial) and haven't met anyone who met through casual dating who has the type of relationship I'd desire so I certainly wouldn't seek advice from them (and I have a long term partner so I'm not even sure why I'm answering this question lol)

0|1
    0|0
  • The woman I wound up marrying was a coworker of my mother's, who set us up. I guess she did know what was best for me!

0|1
    0|0
  • My parents definitely. I even go to my step mom for advice sometimes. I trust their advice because I've been taking it for a long time and it hasn't led me astray once. I trust and rely on my parents like no other.

0|1
    0|0
  • Simply friends are going through same things parents are a bit out dated. The dating game is a constantly evolving thing and it's been a while since my parents played that field

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither because half the time when you ask friends advice, they go by an experience they have had, and will try to make it either better or worse for you. And asking parents, well, me being a female with overprotective parents, asking them is never really a good idea unless they've been in a long standing healthy relationship, but if you have overprotective parents, they will try to make it to where it will go wrong for you so you still stay their innocent child.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents. Because I know their motivations are purely on my happiness.
    I started dating a guy once and my father upon meeting him later told me that guy isn't right for you there's something not right about him. Well my father was right.

0|0
    0|0
  • Parents and friends may or may not have their own standards and agendas in mind. They might mean well, but make sure it's what 'YOU' really want.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't really discuss my relationship with either of them tbh.

My parents give unsolicited advice and it's decent lol

0|1
    0|0
  • My parents always gave me the worst advice even if they were well-meaning. Maybe it has to do with the fact that they come from a different generation also, and the dating game has changed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Neither. My parents have always suggested I date people I would never date (fortunately they have made very few suggestions over the years). My friends are as clueless as me. A good friend tried to fix me up with a stripper he was living with.

These days both friends and family have given up on giving me advice. I guess I'm just the solitary sort.

0|0
    0|0
  • My opinon is my parents cuz my friends give bad advice lol

0|1
    0|0
  • For me my parents because they know whats good for me

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither, only you can truly know what's best for yourself. Trust your own instincts, and if you fuck up then you know exactly what you did wrong and can learn from it

1|0
    0|0
  • I listen to both advices then sum it up. Still my choice/decision at the end. Parents and real friends both will want whats best for you. can't really go wrong.

0|2
    0|0
  • One thing people alway ask me for relationships advice and it males friends. Some staff or mine clubs nigh are better giving a advice then my parents. I jabs good relationships with one of my boyfriend males friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's ryt that parents are the best adviser whom you can believe but as per the concern of dating advice then the best advice which would be comfortable to you is friends as with them you would freely share all the mischievous talks and they will give you the modern ideas to opt for.

0|0
    0|0
  • To me it's a very personal kind of choices, but dating it's a 1 on 1 thing. Not your parents nor friends are going to develop and experience what you as the person dating it's going to feel, see, know and experience with the other. Everyone it's just going to support their perspective based on past experiences and their own sense of reality but not yours who's the one dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither were usually aware of my romantic dealings until I'd made a decision about it. I don't often share my problems or feelings about my partners with my friends and family.

0|0
    0|0
  • Generation gap is the main reason, where people don't actually like taking advice from their parents, and friends can boost the guy to some extend, and some friends even help in case of urgency in the relationship, but parents stick to precautions, 'cause I'm from a Conservative country,

0|0
    0|0
  • I think friends and parents! Parents because they know you more than anyone and are responsible. (at least they should be😂) Friends because they are your age and might be able to help you see different points of view.

0|0
    0|0
  • Friends. My parent's don't really understand today's dating world.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never really trusted my parents with any form of relationship advice. Hell I didn't trust my parents with knowing I was even in relationships. Maybe trust is a bad word didn't consider my relationships any of there business.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither

Your parents, especially mommy will tell you the opposite of what you should do to et women.

Your friends will sugar coat the shit out of things for you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Friends... they know the now present moment about the dating game and when giving out their opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel like my parents just don't get it but I'm sure in reality they know what they're talking about

0|1
    0|0
  • Dating advice my mom never told me squat. Dad just told me to be safe. So I had to rely on my friends.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on who you have. I personally think neither in my case. i would definitely avoid it from my parents, as my dad cheated on my mum which caused them to split and currently my mum is dating a controlling idiot, so either I wouldn't look for relationship advice from, only if they were to advise me not to make the same mistakes. My friends have different attitudes to dating as well. Most of my friends are more into hookups then relationships like i am so were unhelpful when I met my boyfriend. But for some people, advise from those closest to them can be a good thing.

1|1
    0|0
  • Friends. My mother told me you can get a good husband if you never let him touch you beyond holding hands. No kissing either.

0|1
    0|0
  • Friends. Normally for someone my age, it'd be better to trust parent but my parents are homophobic so its not like I can ask them for advice

0|1
    0|0
  • Parents, they know the ropes and skilled at before you. But honestly you can get it from both, not just one or the other.

1|0
    0|0
  • Younger groups of people (teenagers) tend to have a lot more trust on friends, while older groups trust their famillies a little more on the subject matter.
    Either way its better to find out what YOU actually want if you want my honest opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Always friends but on two occasions my dad had given his brutally honest input and I listened to his advice (it reaffirmed what my friends said).

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes