Should I not be dating a musician?

I’m 20 and still living with very caring (I’m thankful for that) but overprotective and overbearing parents. I go to college and my boyfriend doesn’t.

We got to know each other with intentions of being friends but I asked him out on a date and so we’ve been together for 8 months now.

he's actually really smart. I was surprised when at some point when we first started dating his own explanation about politics and tcertain education systems etc. He still lives with his mom and stuff but he’s not lazy. He works at a gas station (no he does not want to stay there forever). but he definitley doesn’t just sit on his ass and so on. Before he even got a job, he felt so miserable and hated the fact that he wasn’t doing something. he was way happy when he started working. Not to mention he supports me in school and he’s influenced me in good ways. He says I should challenge myself and encourages me to learn about new stuff. I like talking to him and being around him.

Only thing is my dad doesn’t like him for being a guy in a band and not going to a university. He says he’s a good and nice guy (despite he never wanting to meet him), but he says “he’s not the one for you” and “ he’s going a different direction.” He feels like I’m gonna quit school, get pregnant, or some other unsuccessful thing.

But I can see the guy I’m dating is genuine. Through is actions and just who he is, I can see he’s not a bad guy. The feelings are mutual. Neither of us knows what we want to do with ourselves. I’m undeclared in college. If the relationship does go a different way, if the relationship ends when it’s time, then let it be.

At least I could say I learned from a relationship and I made some really good memories. That’s how I feel with this guy right now. I learn from him and have fun. We have a few fights but it’s been great. I’ve never had such a good time with a guy like I do with this one. And I can see through his actions that he treats me the way I should be.

Am I wrong for dating him?

12