Should I not be dating a musician?

I’m 20 and still living with very caring (I’m thankful for that) but overprotective and overbearing parents. I go to college and my boyfriend doesn’t.

We got to know each other with intentions of being friends but I asked him out on a date and so we’ve been together for 8 months now.

he's actually really smart. I was surprised when at some point when we first started dating his own explanation about politics and tcertain education systems etc. He still lives with his mom and stuff but he’s not lazy. He works at a gas station (no he does not want to stay there forever). but he definitley doesn’t just sit on his ass and so on. Before he even got a job, he felt so miserable and hated the fact that he wasn’t doing something. he was way happy when he started working. Not to mention he supports me in school and he’s influenced me in good ways. He says I should challenge myself and encourages me to learn about new stuff. I like talking to him and being around him.

Only thing is my dad doesn’t like him for being a guy in a band and not going to a university. He says he’s a good and nice guy (despite he never wanting to meet him), but he says “he’s not the one for you” and “ he’s going a different direction.” He feels like I’m gonna quit school, get pregnant, or some other unsuccessful thing.

But I can see the guy I’m dating is genuine. Through is actions and just who he is, I can see he’s not a bad guy. The feelings are mutual. Neither of us knows what we want to do with ourselves. I’m undeclared in college. If the relationship does go a different way, if the relationship ends when it’s time, then let it be.

At least I could say I learned from a relationship and I made some really good memories. That’s how I feel with this guy right now. I learn from him and have fun. We have a few fights but it’s been great. I’ve never had such a good time with a guy like I do with this one. And I can see through his actions that he treats me the way I should be.

Am I wrong for dating him?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Your parents are worried for you and they have all the right to.
    But I guess, the guy you're dating is really good. He seems good. And I feel like, as long as you're happy it's all golden.
    Try talking to your parents about it.
    Oh and remember, The members of 1D never attended Uni.

0|0
    0|0
    • Haha the members of my favorite band never attended uni either. I’d be more concerned if he was lazy or was doing drugs. But he’s not. 🙂

• I think dating him isn't wrong. Don't give up on the relationship just because your parents don't approve.

0|0
    0|0
    • I feel bad cause I hate disappointing my parents. Especially my mom when I heard her say “ can’t you just date someone who is going to college like you do?” It makes me sad that I’m making them sad but also I feel like if I always follow their advice, I’ll never experience life. (I kid you not, I was telling my dad I got invited to join a fraternity and he said “I’ll think about it. I wasn’t even asking 😭I was telling him I was excited that I was making new friends lol)

I listen to them, and always have but this is someone I want to see. I understand my parents point of view which is also why I’m asking if maybe I’m being crazy or something. I’m aware I could be wrong too.

But also, he’s a good influence on me. He pushes me to challenge myself in college, not discourage. I don’t want to break up with him just because my parents told me to or because “he’s going a different path” when truly neither of us have decided what we want. And I just feel I finally get to experience dating

• Someone I enjoy being around with this much. I’m definitley not settling either. I’m aware I have other options and I get asked out here and there.

• He will work on the streets

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes