Why is saying “I love you” wrong if you’re not in a relationship yet?

I've been involved with a guy for years. We briefly dated. Hooked up so many times. We both have feelings for each other. I love him. Completely. I told him I loved him. Why is it strongly advised to not tell someone you love them? I also have felt that I’ve loved a man I talked to online and never met. I grew attached to him and felt love. I have a big heart. I don’t see anything wrong with telling someone you love them if that’s how you feel. I’m sure if I told a guy who wasn’t my boyfriend I loved them they’d think I was nuts.

What do do you guys think?

02