Why do people feel entitled to have other people open up to them?

A few people have told me this. The last guy I ended things with told me that he hated that I didn't feel comfortable opening up to him even though I hardly knew him. My parents do the same thing to me also. Luckily my current boyfriend is understanding and said he will be patient because he has seen equal or more traumatic things so he understands.

77

Most Helpful Guy

• To be honest no you don't owe anyone anything and if you knew a guy for only a month you don't have to tell him anything about you. Though wanted to know more about you and feel trusted by you is a good thing and a sense of entitlement. Eventually though when you're ready you'll have to open up a bit and tell people about stuff. If they feel like they don't know you after a long while they'll leave. I've had the same happen for me in the past too. To be honest it's their right to leave in that situation.

Relationships are built off of trust, communication, and knowing your partner really well. If you can't open up after a certain length of time (not necessarily a month because you just met though over time), then people will leave for someone who is more open. It's not a sense of entitlement it's just that they know what they want and feel like they can't get it from you.

As for parents and friends, sometimes they're worried and want to know about you and your life. That doesn't mean you have to tell them anything but if I had friends and family who weren't interested in my life at all then it shows that they really don't care. I wouldn't feel upset or offended by people asking thing. I'd get annoyed at people for pushing things that I want left alone.

• Is a good thing and not a sense of entitlement*

• No thats okay and I get that. If you don't open up to a person, they will start to distance themselves. I believe that we didn't have a connection and that's okay. I realize that I am not everyones cup of tea. It is what it is. For weeks he led me on about being busy and he will always be an asshole for that. But being with my current boyfriend, and seeing the contrast between being with him and having to beg the first guy for attention, taught me a valuable lesson.

• I agree. I believe that people should be honest about not being interested. Though I do think it's a good lesson that you've learned. A lesson could be learned from all relationships good or bad if we let them. Chances are you'll learn. More with your current boyfriend.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a similar situation on a first date with a guy, I wasn’t sure if he was interested in me as a person or just sex, so that naturally made me more reserved around him until I felt I could trust him more. He asked me if I was shy, I just let him think that (I’m not normally) and I tried to explain that I have to trust someone first beofre I can fully open up, he just looked disappointed/annoyed so I figured it wasn’t going to go anywhere from that point in either since in my past two relationships the guys were understanding.