How to tell my parents I'm meeting someone from Tinder?

So, here's a bit of background. I'm 18, and have never been in a relationship before, nor have I been looking for one.

Recently, my friends and I had a few drinks, and we decided to sign up for Tinder, mainly to see what kind of creepy, older guys would want to hook up. I wasn't expecting to "like" anyone, apart from the weird, older guys we clicked on just to see who could find the creepiest. However, I saw a boy around my own age who seemed sweet, so I liked his profile.

Long story short, we're now messaging. He's respectful, not into casual hook ups, shares my interests and generally seems like a gentleman. With that in mind, he's asked me out for a coffee, and I've agreed.

The problem is, I'm only 18 so live with my parents, but feel awkward telling them I've been using Tinder, even if it was just meant to be for a laugh. However, I don't want to lie about how I met this guy, in case it comes back to bite me later. So... How should I tell my parents how we met? Advice would be appreciated.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You can tell them you met online without it being a lie. Still sounds not great to parents but it's better than Tinder the hook up app lol. I did lie and said through mutual friends on Facebook, once I moved out though I no longer felt any need to lie about anything with them.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• For your safety, tell your friends. You don't need to tell your parents yet, if it does become something, you can make up a story with him after. Currently dating someone from Tinder and we just say we met through friends! Good luck! Keep us updated, tell me if you've got any questions

1|1
    0|0
  • You seem very aware of the reason your parents wouldn't be happy they will always worry as you said yourself weirdos and creeps but just make sure you are safe in public places don't drink alcohol and make sure someone knows where you are and calls on your way home etc if you explain all this to your parents I think they will be pleased you've been honest with them and handled things maturely

0|1
    0|0
  • 1st of in general tinder is a one night stand app idc what anyone says but if you need to tell them how you met say you decide to try internet dating to cut your teeth on and then you won't be lying and you can say your only telling them in case anything should happen but the truth is your 18 if you wanna have sex with and donkey in Mexico it's none of their business (just a extreme hypothetical)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's not a big deal if you lie about it, say something casual that mixes reality so it would be a partial lie, although if you do care a lot about it tell them the truth, if they get to meet him they'll see not everybody is a creepy in tinder

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't just say where you 1st went was when you met because it's not easy for everyone to understand, plus that's between you and him, your special moment so keep it special between you and tell the rest the above.

0|0
    0|0
  • Make sure to meet in a public place, do not go anywhere private on a first date (or until you get to know/ can trust him)

0|0
    0|0
  • Just tell them you met someone while out with friends. And let them know you're going on a date when it happens.

0|0
    0|0
  • go with friends. it's safer, or if you can't go during noon.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just be honest. Im sure they'll understand its 2018, like if they dont that's on them :) just be safe!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Take what you just wrote here and say that to your parents. It's the truth and there's no problem with that

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would it come back to bite you? Just say you met online its not that deep

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to be careful you first need to meet him face to face before you tell your parents... and have some protection around you because guys can say one thing then another if they are not truly honest with u... for example I am this height weight etc... or maybe the name
    I strongly highly advise u to test him asking him the same questions and see how long it will take him to answer and see if they r different or the truth... I also advice u to get his number or and be on webcam if he says why or I can't... then there is a red flag.. if he says ok and takes him at least 5 to an hr approx. That a red flag to
    please take my advice before u tell ur parents

0|0
    0|0
  • You met him at a coffee shop. Is that a lie? Lol.

3|3
    0|0
  • Be totally honest with them

0|0
    0|0
  • You dont tell them... simple

0|0
    0|0
  • I would not use tinder for a relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • in my opinion honesty is the best policy

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you care way too much about what your parents think.

0|1
    0|0
  • lol if you think Tinder has many old creepy dudes you are so wrong, because even average women are bombarded with messages it is heavily skewed against average looking (and below) men so majority of guys who still bother using Tinder are at least somewhat attractive to very attractive.

Just tell them he was an online friend who shares similar interests.

0|0
    0|0
  • relantionship guys from tinder? lol bye girl

0|1
    2|1

Recommended myTakes