How to tell my parents I'm meeting someone from Tinder?

So, here's a bit of background. I'm 18, and have never been in a relationship before, nor have I been looking for one.

Recently, my friends and I had a few drinks, and we decided to sign up for Tinder, mainly to see what kind of creepy, older guys would want to hook up. I wasn't expecting to "like" anyone, apart from the weird, older guys we clicked on just to see who could find the creepiest. However, I saw a boy around my own age who seemed sweet, so I liked his profile.

Long story short, we're now messaging. He's respectful, not into casual hook ups, shares my interests and generally seems like a gentleman. With that in mind, he's asked me out for a coffee, and I've agreed.

The problem is, I'm only 18 so live with my parents, but feel awkward telling them I've been using Tinder, even if it was just meant to be for a laugh. However, I don't want to lie about how I met this guy, in case it comes back to bite me later. So... How should I tell my parents how we met? Advice would be appreciated.

913

Most Helpful Guy

• You can tell them you met online without it being a lie. Still sounds not great to parents but it's better than Tinder the hook up app lol. I did lie and said through mutual friends on Facebook, once I moved out though I no longer felt any need to lie about anything with them.

Most Helpful Girl