How to motivate my girlfriend to quit smoking?

Obviously smoking is really bad for you so I'd rather my girlfriend not smoke as I care about her and her health. At first she didn't take it too well, but now she says she will quit and seems very open to the idea. She knows the dangers and we're close enough for her to see I'm doing it for her own good. But it seems she's not that motivated and goes back to smoking more when I'm not there. When she's with me, she does really well, cutting back a lot. I don't really want to pester her about it when I'm not around. We see each other once or twice a month, where she stays over for a few days and we talk everyday over messenger or FaceTime. Now that she wants to quit, how do you think it's best to help her, and motivate her to keep it up?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You can’t make her do something she doesn’t want to do, and it’s apparent she wants to continue smoking

1|1
    0|0
    • True, but it's more what I can do to play a role in helping her quit as she is open to it. I don't want to force her to do anything but if someone was self harming you wouldn't just say "just let her carry on, you can't make her stop because she doesn't want to" because they're not in the right mind to make an impartial decision. Instead you try and help them. Here, it is obvious nicotine addiction is clouding her judgement. And I'm wondering how I can help, not force her to do anything.

• U can only say but its her mind dat has to quit first

0|1
    0|0
    • Very true, thank you!

• Tell her to visit a doc or something

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes