Asked a friend if he likes me, he kinda rejected me, how do I avoid an awkward situation?

we are close friends and 2 months go he started a super demanding job, he is basically there mon-fri from 9:00-24:00, i had the feeling he liked me and then after some time i started liking him...
i never told him directly i am into him but i wrote stuff like "i already miss u, when we didn't see each other for 2 weeks"...
last week i randomly texted him "i know this is out of the blue but do you like me "more"?" he replied "i do not want a relationship right now, but i do like you a lot and our friendship means a lot to me" my reply "i understand, you are a great person and i want you to be happy. i just always need certainty to move on with something "
just saw he texted me after a week of no contact. i don't want to pretend nothing happened and behave as usual, i want to get distance to get over it. how do i manage this situation so it's not too awkward?

01