Is it still possible to date offline nowadays?

I am single for a year. I don't want to meet someone through a dating app. I want for the guy to come to me and ask for my number or something like that. I don't know if that is realistic.
Is it still possible to date offline nowadays?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No, because they are going to look you UP on tinder/badoo/(insert any dating app)
    Vote B
  • No, you should download this app.
    Vote C
  • Yes but only if _____
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I think men are tired of women wanting them to always make the first move. If that's what you're expecting, dating is going to be tricky, especially offline.

I don't know how things are in the Netherlands but where I'm from, people don't really approach strangers in public just to ask for a number. It's a lot easier online because you don't have to physically be in the situation and you can escape from the embarrassment of rejection with a click of a button.

I'm not saying that it's completely unrealistic that someone would come and ask for your number in public. It can happen. I just think it's unlikely.

1|1
    0|0
    • Interesting, I talk to a Portuguese girl and she seems to have a lot of guys approach her. Maybe it's less common in Finland and to some extent, England.

• @Levin Certainly. The stereotype of the men in Southern Europe is that they're extremely "aggressive" when it comes to approaching women. In Finland, on the other hand, it's frowned upon to approach people you don't know in public because that's seen as more or less harassing them and invading their personal space.

Most Helpful Guy

• Why does HOW you meet matter? The mist important thing is that you meet someone who is right for you.

6|8
    0|0
    • That is indeed the mist important thing.

• Show All
    • @jflames Some people are in a position where they do not meet many eligible members of the opposite sex and online dating facilitates the process. If you meet a guy online and he has no confidence, that will be apparent when you meet him.

• Yeah I agree with that statement. Most of my partners I've met almost in an accedental situation.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Dating apps is like having a club or a bar in your hand at all times. You can walk up to anybody online and say Hi. Much easier than trying to get some random guy to approach you in a book store or a coffee shop. Can it happen? Sure.. how much time you got?

0|0
    0|0
    • I can happen but so far I've only been on one date from online and it was creepy.

I'm not the kind of person that gets along in clubs ether. I mostly with dating apps where more about the getting to know you stuff and less the moving fast.

• To a large extent I agree. But it's not that simple unfortunately. Women are hounded online by keyboard warriors who suddenly have balls hiding behind a computer screen and often are overwhelmed by their messages. And then they have to sift through guys who just want to bang ASAP. So it often leads to the top 5% or so of male profiles who regularly get more than a passing glance.

• Online is infinitely more convenient, that is for sure. But meeting someone at a bar or whatnot is much more efficient and weeds out a lot of the keyboard warriors/flakes, etc. It takes a certain amount of balls to approach a woman in person that it just doesn't online. Women recognize that just as much. 99.9% of the time, women will give you a chance to impress them because they know you're taking a risk and by and large, respect that... even if you don't 'hit it off.' Whereas online, there's not that mutual understand because you're not risking anything to talk to her and as far as she's concerned, you might have sent that same message to 100 other profiles.

Online is convenient, yes. Efficient? I dunno. It's like shopping at Marshall's... you can find an awesome shirt that looks amazing on you. You just might have to dig through piles and racks of fubu, jnco, s'mediums and knock-offs before you do

• Not if you only expect the man to take the initiative. If you are also willing to make the first move, then it's possible.

1|2
    1|0
  • Absolutely, but you've got to go places where you'll get face time with potential dates. At your age, that's normally not a problem, but for the older set it can be.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, if both individuals can find their balls (or hypothetical balls) and just talk to each other instead of behaving like socially inept children.

0|0
    0|0
  • What you mean is, you want THIS guy to come and ask you for your number!
    i.pinimg.com/.../...cc2d59362c0a7a6d4fbeb1d093.jpg

Everyone else need not bother.

0|1
    0|0
    • Haha no. I just think it is nice to meet someone offline and if you have a nice chat they ask for your number.

• Well it's easily possible still, nothing much has changed when it comes to offline dating, you still need to hint that you are open to a guy approaching. Guys just do it less these days because dating apps make it easier to find girls and takes away the risk of being called a creep if the girl doesn't like the look of you.

• For me, either way, it doesn't mean much. In real life, I don't meet many single women, and none that are interested in stuff I am interested in, and none that are attracted to me, or none that want to meet up. A lot of these girls are into some really superficial stuff, and can probably get it (or think they can) and the deeper stuff is rarely looked at.

I can't move to another area, yet.

So there's online. It opens my chances maybe a tiny bit, in theory. But even then, the chances of talking to someone who actually wants to meet and wants coffee (who doesn't live 70 miles away), is not likely. This is after paying $50-60 a month to get shot down. Seems too expensive when I can get shot down for a lot less in real life, and then I can actually sort of see how they behave.

But if you're good with the opposite sex, it probably won't hurt your chances, but if you were that good with the opposite sex to start, you probably wouldn't need to go online or get an app to date anyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Frankly, most people would tell you yes or no or etc...
    I am experiencing the same exact thing, and have been single for a while.
    Dating apps rarely work dear ISaimon and I am envisaging to uninstall the app completely from my phone. Honestly, I meet more interesting decent people when I go out for example to a bar alone. Strangers just come, some of them are single, they will just sit at the bar next to you and you will know how to follow the conversations if you are interested.

My answer to your question is:
    Yes but only if you do not expect a prince charming coming on a horse in front of you and asking you for your number. There is no harm in a girl trying to make the first move too. My friend was deeply falling for a guy who was not aware of it. He only considered her as a friend. We were still college students and I was always pushing her so she would make the first move.
    She spent 3 years having him as a friend and he was going out with other girls.
    After we graduated, I told her either she makes the first move or I will personally go and let the guy know.
    I stood next to her when she approached him.

Guess what?
    They are married today and it has been 9 years now :-)

Dating apps are full of shallow people, fake profiles, etc...

Go out and enjoy yourself. My advice is if you go have a coffee or drink by yourself, then you will have better chances meeting someone.

Most of the time I end up sitting on the barstool with a stranger talking for more than two hours, even if it is only a friendly talk and nothing is going to happen further. Time after time, you will socialize better and meet more interesting people than you ever thought you would.

Good luck and hope my opinion was useful and helpful dear ISaimon :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Statistically speaking, you will aleayd be able to meet someone offline provided there are chances you get to know strangers.

I think maybe this question should be phrased as "offline dating 101".
    You just need to get out there, be more open-minded to social gatherings or at least pretend to be until you meet the one. :p good luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are a lot of pansies out there now that are too scared and afraid to ask for a number in fear of being rejected.

So to adapt to the changing times, you may want to think about making the move when you see someone you are attracted to that is giving off the vibe they like you too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like you do. Meaning I’d like to meet a girl organically... or offline as you put it. I’ve done the whole dating app thing and had varying success with it so it’s not all bad. I’m just tired of having to send emails out to 20 girls to get one to reply and then after talking for a few days to find out she isn’t that into me. Problem is I’m not into bars either. So it’s been hard so far to do it the old fashion way. But I’m game and I’m sure there are lots of others who are as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • A good friend once told me that you need to get out to be seen. He wasn't just talking about clubs and bars, he was talking about any place that you can go to make connections with people. That could be school, college, church, mutual group outings, anything really.

0|0
    0|0
  • The dating pool online is huge you get the chance to meet more people and find a better match.
    I’ve tried online dating but for me it’s more of a tool to meet guys from my past never met new ones on it. I think you can still meet people in your life it’s just not as common now

0|0
    0|0
  • I thought the exact same thing when i wanted to get back on the horse but honestly things have changed and meeting someone in a bar or club isn't what it is in the movies. You are going to be waiting a while for your prince charming, at least on the net you can search in the comfort of your own home and be safe.

0|0
    0|0
  • weeeeell... uh... hate to break that to you, but strangers coming out of nowhere and asking you out will only play out in your head. flirting is a two-side way, and it depends mostly of the culture of the place you're in. in most places, all you have to do is keep visual contact with someone you find interesting and he will come if he finds you interesting. but i would rather just go on the attack, you asking them out. be proactive. but only if you feel comfortable about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • when you meet someone who wrote with you on tinder etc its kinda weird because you already "know" this person and you just don't know what to talk about in reallife. Another point is that you know from the beginning this person likes you so when you meet her/him it isn't that wow effect. Its just like "ok, you like me i like you, and what's now?" That's the experience i made.

0|0
    0|0
  • You meet people with similar interests by going through your life pursuing those interests. You just have to put yourself out there. Don't go into it looking for a date, but go into it looking to meet new people! If a spark occurs, a spark occurs.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is possible, but it’s hard to meet people. I started dating my second husband after being single for 4 years (after my divorce). I met him at his job 2 years prior but we were both too shy to ask eachother out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, that can still happen. But dating apps are just more efficient and less stressful. For each guy that you wish you had met in person, there are like 10 guys who you wish you didn't. So there's that too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but if you are socioable and outgoing willing to be set up and open to new things. Getting phone numbers isn't the thing anymore now it's getting social media info, phone # is for more intimate relationships.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong with taking the old fashioned approach but most guys are on dating sites so you could be waiting a while...
    Or!!!

Do the new approach and ask someone out face to face..

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not no or yes short like that, sadly i would assume you would've to be at a bar or somewhere people usualy hook up. Or you could find one of the few "old school" guys like me, though i usually wait to see if she is a nice friend or not first. And i check for signs if she's interested or not. So it kinda depends a lot, sadly most people just use web for almost anything these days. I image we will all be like in the move "walee" eventualy😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Guys are far less likely to ask for your number. When I approach someone at a bar, I have no idea if she's single or not (but in the grand style of women I'm 'supposed to know'). So if I approach her and she's single, I'm praised for initiative and risk. If I approach her and she's not single, I risk being the next metoo story.

Online dating allows me to avoid this, she's clearly single, and there is clearly a record of me acting like an adult that is saved on the dating platform's servers.

0|0
    0|0
  • at least if you check what I am capable of tho being a shy guy you'll consider your question out of place but tbh I've talked with a few guys and they call me crazy for just going up to stranger girls and asking for a date or number (1day or a few days in).

I just tell em if I don't take the chance someone else will

0|0
    0|0
  • No people offline might catfish you, walk around in a weird position so you can only see the better side of their face. They might be 20 years older, underage or want to kill you! offline is totally dangerous

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but I think it's harder unless you're in a social setting. You don't want to be accused of sexual harassment in the office...

0|1
    0|0
  • No after a couple of weeks I had to more complexes than I did when I got there.
    I think it would be a great thing to set up a party, get-together, Bowling night. All kinds of ideas. Could be a great business to get into now. It's seems to me that, the younger are help learning how to be someplace have fun mingle a little and maybe get lucky, maybe not. There's always next weekend.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been online for like 4 years. None of the girls are serious, they all bail on me shortly before we're supposed to meet. Now I get screamed at by my brother if he hears that I've been surfing online and says you won't find a good girl online. He says I need to make friends and meet one that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • after thinking about it seven our of 8 girls i met in the past few years were through a group chat online now i dont have the energy nor trust people to do it again. i want to meet real woman from real life but im discourged all the women who want me are taken bfs or worse married.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me i would rather look into your eyes and ask you out.. at the same time if i was to meet you on line and you lived far away i would still ask for your number so we could chat because i love to travel to

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer to meet the person in real life first instead of looking to date online right of the bat like that. It's not that I don't trust online dating as I have done so but I'm not the type to actually make an account on a dating site. It's not impossible to arrange things in real life, maybe just not as common anymore. But trust me, they are out there.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think if you want something to happen, you've got to make it happen. You can't wait for anything because you dont know what's gonna happen.

This year, I've almost died, 3 times. All 3 times, happened unexpectedly and in a flash. I didn't even realise any of the accidents happened until I was looking at the damage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nowdays it is easier to give a chance someone online than when he comes direct at you but that doesn't mean it's not possible to date offline it's just we look for these things else where rather than engaging in reality (yeah I guess that's the word)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's possible but why would you. Why would you grow away such a big tool to find the person you can spend the rest of your life with. Just so you have a better backstory? If you do relationship s well you will have a lot more stories to tell. I rather use all the tools so I can get the best result.

0|0
    0|0
  • 80% of my dates are gotten through face to face meets...

Online only happens when we click especially well...

Dating apps waste a lot of time because most people there are looking for ego boosts more than a date...

0|0
    0|0
    • How is that different from face to face?

• Show All
    • But that's just talking. Do you consider every one in one conversation a date. Because that would make the conversation you have with someone in the chat a date too. Yeah it is easier to communicate when you see someone in person. There are a lot more forms of information. But if you say 80% of your dates come through face to face. I would argue that the conversations you have with someone on a dating qualifies as much as a date as a first date where you just grab a cup of coffee

• You don't read very well, do you? 😊

I said 80% of my dates... Meaning of all the people I have ever dated in my life...80% came from face to face interaction instead of the internet...

It does not mean 80% of the people I talk to go on a date with me...

• hell yes, flirting with girls in person is so MUCH better than on tinder. I really dont like tinder that much. I love seeing the facial expressions while flirting and laughing with girls its so fun

0|0
    0|0
  • Welcome to Gag Town and Best of Luck.
    Yes... I wasn't Aware that anything Changed while I slept last Night so Tight. lolxxoo

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is period. I am against of the idea using apps like tinder etc to get a date. It's just stupid and it actually shows that both the guy and the girl don't got the guts to do this face2face thing and ask each other out. Those who voted "No" either they are insecure about themselves asking someone offline or they don't have a clue.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lots of people don't have social media or use computer accounts. I dropped my Facebook and Instagram accounts 2 years ago and have never logged in to dating sites. It's easy enough to meet people if you don't stay inside all day long.

0|0
    0|0
  • When they do approach they're a lot more direct now I think because of online dating there's no real romance they will still ask but they don't feel the need to try that hard anymore or they don't really know how to

0|0
    0|0
  • You probably mean MEET someone offline right? Yeah I'd say it's still possible but I also wouldn't think meeting someone online was any less special if it works out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it depends on the effort you put in. Depends on where you hang out and how you present yourself and who you’re around
    I decided to meet my partner online because I was in school and worked around all women at the time. I couldn’t really meet people because I was never out or around men.. you see?

0|0
    0|0
    • Where in the world do you work? I didn't think such places existed until now...

• I worked at an eyelash extension studio. I worked with all women and gay men

• Aah, so that's where I should field my next resume. Gotcha. Thanks..

• "I want for the guy to come to me and ask for my number"

Like a random guy off the street to straight up cold approach you and ask for your digits? I find that difficult to believe.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's absolutely possible! You have to make sure that you are putting yourself into an environment where a guy is more likely to come up to you. Where I live, those places tend to be church and social clubs.

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually don't know anyone who has found a date online. All have found their dates either through friends or through meeting in person by many means.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its possible, but only if there are people in your area who have similar interests and views. Go to places with people with similar beliefs and interests. If not, try the internet but trust your instincts.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well maybe if women weren't so picky more guys would come up to you but yeah go to a club and they will try to engage. I suggest taking the first move though.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can happen but you have to be out being social in the clubs and stuff.

However, I retired myself from clubbing and stuff just over a year ago now as I approached 31 years of age. So if it has changed in that time I don't know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course it's possible. You don't need an app to find love and there are many couples who didn't meet online.
    Just try to go to places where you can meet people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Apps seem to be an extension of real life now. It seems if a couple meets in real life and likes each other the first thing they do is search social media for each other. I guess that's become a less stressful way of actually asking out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but there needs to be a certain effort from you too lol. If you simply wait for men to approach you and not do anything to facilitate that you’re probably missing out on great chances.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes