Should Online Dating Be Considered Real?

Unlike tinder, where you meet someone online and then meet in person, a relationship completely online with no physical contact but f2f video chat and calls, would you consider it real? Why?
  • Yes, It should be
  • No
  • Other
    Vote C

47

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it leaves too much up to imagination, when the pair doesn't meet in real life. In my opinion online dating can be very deceiving, because people can hide sides of themselves better than IRL and dictate how the other person perceives them. I wouldn't personally call it a relationship before the two have really met.

• Well I am on Second Life, that is a virtual world
      And I seen some of them go with it, over all its true its easier to hide maybe part of you, but what I wonder on that is 2 things I like to know on your opion
      1. If they hide it all the time they will know each other, dose it matter if they have a more dark side? dose that turn it to less of a relationship? I mean even if its all imagination, in the end will it matter if its all they ever know?
      2. How long can someone hold it before they take it out, and even that it may be easier online its also something that can happen offline no? so where is the deference?

• It's not my business if someone else thinks it's as good of a relationship as any. I just wouldn't personally call it a relationship, because I can't develop love without seeing and feeling their physical presence.

• Alright, that completely fair, meant more to ask how you see it, not how they see it

Most Helpful Guy

• I would not consider it to be equivalent to offline dating, for there are elements from the real world that do not translate well, or even at all, into the virtual one. Yet I could consider such dating relations real, just on a different tier.

• Now on to relations that go beyond dating: No, I would not consider these real. The afore-mentioned loss of some elements is simply too drastic in this case. Furthermore a primary attribute of romantic partnerships is that they fulfill a person's need for physical closeness. You are free to disagree, but as far as I am concerned that is part of the definition. So if that need cannot be fulfilled it cannot be a romantic partnership as something inherent to that is missing.