Guys, 'I do not want you to be my rebound because I appreciate you a lot': Truth or Lie?

Same college, same friends, same parties over the past 2 years, but we have never been close. He made a move at a party and kissed me while we were dancing. He then said to not worry cause he broke up and that he really liked me from last year but never made a move cause he had a girlfriend. I thought he kind of was attracted to me because of the way he looked at me at a party last year and he actually brought that same party up when telling me all of this. We made out heavily but did not sleep together. I texted him once after cause he had asked me to, but he pulled away saying it's his first serious break up and needs time. I did not give it another try. Now he has been hanging out for like 2/3 weeks with a girl, but told our friends he wants to see me when we move to the same city for work next month. Shortly after, he told me too (was sober), I did not take it seriously He brought it up again and told me that he does not want to date me to forget about his ex, but he is gonna call.

1