Why do many people think guys should always make the move / text first?

I've seen many comments here on GAG that express opinions saying guys should always text first or make the move first.

I kinda found it debatable because my rule of thumb is, if you are interested, you text first, regardless of gender. We all know its not easy to talk to someone you like. But many thought that guys find it easier to text first when actually its quite nerve-juicing (from my own experience) and it is for the opposite gender too.

Also, in the face of equality, girls can also text first. Moreover, there is no hard and fast rule dictating who texts or makes the first move.

A penny for your thoughts?

21