Is it ok to be weirded out about taking a friendship to a relationship?

So one of my best friends since middle school and I have been getting really flirty lately. He and I have always been good friends and best friends and i never saw him in that way so it’s kind of weirding me out but i don’t want to shut down something that could be good. Is it normal to feel weird about flirting with my best friend of six years? Even thinking about kissing him makes me kind of cringe...

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Of course it's okay. It's even natural.

It kind of sounds like you've seen this guy as a brother, or a semi-brother, for a long time. Years. And now the idea of kissing him seems kind of like incest to you.

The question, I guess, is whether you can get over that. If you can stop seeing him as a brother, and start seeing him as a romantic/sexual partner.

But either way, whatever your feelings are, they're okay.

Hope this helps.

1|0
    0|0
    • I guess i’ve seen him as a semi brother my whole life. we’ve always told each other everything from who we like to who we’ve kissed etc. but when we’re being flirty together i’m fine i don’t think about the fact we’ve been just friends for years. it’s only when i’m alone thinking about him. i guess i overthink. it feels right until i start thinking about it. i guess i don’t want to lose him as a friend if we didn’t work out as a couple. i feel we would but I don't know it just makes me want to throw up because i’ve never thought of him that way.

• Show All
    • a little bit of both to be honest

• You can get over your rational fear of messing up the friendship.

What about the other fear? Could you ever make out with him and enjoy it? Or go beyond making out?

• Yeah, it is weird. I guess it is also a scary risk, as it is hard to just go back to the way it was if things didn't work.

But, only those that takes risks reap the rewards. So give it a chance.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes