These emotions are seriously bumming me out, did I do the wright thing?

I met this girl 4 years ago and early on in the relationship I kind of hit on her but got rejected, she got the wrong end of the stick and said she wasn’t ready for a relationship.

I still carried on the friendship with this girl and we got really close we spoke everyday i saw her regularly. I never made another move though.

Over the past year my emotions have got really strong for her which has NEVER happened to me before. I found it was affecting my mental state so I cut contract with her about 10 days ago.

It was kind of random , I just messaged her saying “I think I’m hoping for something that’s not going to happen” and she reliterated that she doesn’t want a relationship but She was really upset that I had to do this and tried to stop me from blocking her.

Do you think this was the right approach to cutting contact? or did I kind of put her on the spot? Am I being fair? It just doesn’t feel right to me.
And what should I do if she tries to contact me? because there are still ways

10