Why boys are happy to date women with mental issues but not physical disabilities?

I'm a wheelchair user; my disability is quite mild, being able to walk and live independently. I know I'm pretty attractive: boys look at me at the streets, hit on me at discos, don't have any problem in having sex with me, and they seem to enjoy it.. but dating is proving to be impossible. A male friend told me that men are lazy, and I quite got it; but recently I have met this girl. She has bipolar disorder and borderline personality, she had a big crisis lately and had to be cared by a group of friends. However, this doesn't stop her from having boyfriends. She isn't specially beautiful or hot, just cute. I also had a friend who dated a girl with severe depression. Of course, it was a disaster, and when I asked why, he told me that he thought the girl worthed it.
This made me pretty sad because, depite all the good things I have to offer, I don't think no one has ever thought of me in that way. I have tons of friends, people seem to like me genuinely most of the times, I'm really funny, clever, independent... but my experience proves that none of these things matter when you're disabled. Ok, I get it; men don't want to care for their girlfriend. But what puzzles me most is, then why it seems different when it comes to mental issues? I honestly think that it must be far more tricky to deal with them than with a mild physical disability.

I would like to have some answers to understand this, because I really don't get what is so wrong with me. Thank you
Thanks for the replies. I imagined these were the kind of things that were in people's minds. I think it's more frustrating than sad because it shows that prejudices and stigma are the only things that stand when "normative" people conceive someone disabled. It's so stupid.
I guess people's motivations are driven by prejudices above all, even when they are seeing otherwise. No hope for me or human race then, haha

211

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't get it either. If I were a guy I'd go for a woman with a physical disability over someone with mental illness, a person with metal illnesses can harm, you themselves or their children and very often do. Many of them will tell you they wouldn't date a girl with mental illness but that is not true.

I do not know what to say darling, I think you should try looking in the right places for good men, I know it's hard but just try to. Men are very shallow at times, and not even about the right things.

They are weak minded, lazy as your friend suggests and also not very loyal. You just have to find the right one, and the one who will not have you, is just one you shouldn't want either.

• I'm starting seriously to consider that there are no such men. But I'm starting to not care at all, too, haha. Thank you for your reply! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• As unfortunate as it is, I think it's an 'out of sight, out of mind' issue with guys. It's easy to look past mental conditions because they're not visible, while at the same time, it's impossible to *not* see physical conditions.

Personally, I don't let it stop me, and I've dated disabled girls before. But that's not the case with most other guys.

• Yeah, I think so too. The difference lies in which you can see it right away or not. Thanks for the reply