New boyfriend doesn't want to meet my parents, what should I do?

I'm a 19 year old female and I've been dating this guy for about 2 months who is the same age. I suggested over text that he comes over to my place after our date that we planned (I still live with my parents) and that my parents would be home at the time and he could meet them.

He texted me back and it said "I honestly don't know if I want to meet your parents just yet, ik you met my sister but it's definitely different from parents". I was at his house last week and his sister came home and he introduced me with no issues, I've also met a few of his friends so it confuses me why he was not eager to come to my house. Is this just being nervous/shy or does he not want to continue the relationship? I care for him and I don't wanna push his boundaries but I don't want to waste time on him if he doesn't want to ever move forward.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Don’t rush things. Take your time. I wouldn’t want to meet my partners parents after just two or so months...
    let things fall into place. Trying to not “waste time” is going to only hurt your relationship with your partner. Taking time makes you both learn more about each other and makes you feel more comfortable around your partner and the things they want. So by you thinking you’re wasting time on this guy because after two months he still didn’t want to meet your parents... is well... sad. Is you love and care about him then you’d respect his decision and not force him. Things will happened when they are meant to happen.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that just based off of him not wanting to see your parents you shouldn't think he doesn't wanna continue. The most likely thing thats happening is he is nervous/shy to meet your parents and is maybe trying to avoid it. My advice is try to talk with him more about it and understand eachother on it.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Why are you connecting him not meeting your parents with him not having interest in your relationship. Just because he doesn't want to meet your parents doesn't mean he doesn't love you and that he has no interest in the relationship. There is no logic in this thinking.

Your boyfriend may have some sort of aversion or dislike towards your parents, who knows I am just saying. If he does dislike your parents or has some aversion , it's fine. He is not obligated to like your parents as such and likewise let's say even if you introduce him to your parents, your parents are not obligated to like him either. Who knows, say if you did introduce him to your parents your parents may dislike him, possible right?

People have the right to like and dislike whatever they want too.

Hence just because he is not ready to meet your parents yet, or doesn't want to it does not indicate he is not interested in the relationship.

Another thing, it's been just 2 months since your relationship began so why are you pushing him so fast to meet your parents. I think you should relax a bit and take it slow.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's way too soon to meet the parents on purpose. Meeting parents implies you're serious, and you barely know someone after only dating 2 months. Just date a bit longer and wait until it's more serious, the real question is why would you want to introduce a boyfriend who might not be around for very long..

0|1
    0|0
  • He's not ready to meet parents cause the relationship not that deep yet for him. Which is understandable, it's only been 2 months so I guess he just wants to wait a little longer. It would be awkward if he met yours and then you guys broke shortly after then you gotta explain to your parents what happened if they asked etc

0|0
    0|0
  • Just give him time..2 months is really very short period to introduce someone to parents... friends and siblings are different thing coz they are of age... You can do one thing that instead of introducing to your parents, introduce him to your other Trusted ones like best friend or your siblings.. I m sure he won't refuse for that..

1|1
    0|0
  • well them make him meet your sibling and other people in your circle..
    maybe he is afraid of not getting approved by your parents..

key here is telling him..
    i have chosen you, they approve you or they do not approve you.. it does not matters.. i am with you..

0|0
    0|0
  • It's just too soon for him. He was honest and straight up that sister feels different than meeting parents. Maybe he doesn't want to cross that milestone yet and isn't ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • Making a point to meet the parents is too much, like if you brought him somewhere and you're parents were there and you introduce me them, that's different than bringing him home just to introduce them.

1|0
    0|0
  • You have only been dating for 2 months, there’s no need to rush. He could just be nervous to meet them and think it’s too soon, or he just doesn’t want to meet them. Tbh, who cares if he even meets them? I don’t see the point.

0|0
    0|0
  • Things almost always seem great the first few months. You haven't had enough time to really have real conflict. Its already hard enough to break up with someone because hearts get broken. If you add becoming close to the family right away on top of that, then that's even more relationships that get broken. If the relationship is as good as you seem to think it is... There will be plenty of time to integrate your two families.

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months isn't enough time, its still in the beginning of the relationship. Meeting the parents is a major move. Siblings and friends aren't the same as parents. Its good you have met them and in time the parents but I say you shouldn't be worried until 6+ months.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you guys have dated for a long time then I would say you need to worry about it. If you guys only dated for a while not long yet then just give him some times to be ready to meet your parents

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he's nervous or shy to meet your parents. Maybe, he's finding the right time or to gain some confidence when he will meet your parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean two months in is hardly fair enough time to accuse someone of "never wanting to move forward"

As a guy I can say, Meeting a girl's parents is way different. No one wants another random dude around.

I've met family members girlfriends and welcomed with open arms. But boyfriends with an open, but overly cautious mind.

Being introduced as a boyfriend initiates the protective side of family. Which is a lot to deal with sometimes.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be many things. Can be nervous/shy. Maybe for him it will mean a new stage in the relations. Maybe he is unsure about the current status of your relations... Anyway, after 2 month it's ok if he doesn't want to meet them just yet.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be a commitment issues.. Or he juat really dont wanna move forward nor meet your parents.. Sometimes parents can see things that we can't see cuz they have been there before there selfs.. And older and wiser...

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say two months is enough time passed to be meeting the parents. It was always exciting for me when my girlfriend would suggest that, as I considered it a mini milestone.

0|0
    0|0
  • he said it. he is not ready to meet them yet.. give him more time. friends and sister is way way diff from parents. don't stress about it.. besides two months is too early. way too early. don't push him... just love him :)

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months is too soon to meet your parents at a young age, most people dont expect younger relationships to last so it usually isn't taken as seriously ie meeting parents as such

1|0
    0|0
  • If he's any sort of man and cares about being with you, he'd suck it up and meet your parents. Sounds like he's afraid. Tell him to man up and do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months I guess is a little quick to be meeting parents for some. Maybe he wants to be further along in the relationship before meeting parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude, you’re 2 months in, are you kidding? Why don’t you just buy a house now too. My god.

0|2
    1|0
  • Meeting parents is a big step, especially when it's only been 2 months. Give it time, when he's comfortable with it he'll do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Two months is too soon man. It's like you'll receive the 'official' stamp once you meet the parents of your s/o. At least let a half year pass.

0|0
    0|0
  • I absolutely am almost never interested in meeting a girls parents. The problem is... parents love me. And girls are rebellious. If I meet her parents she will stop liking me.

I don’t know what it is about me that the girls I dated parents always love me. But it sucks lol. You’d think that’s a good thing but it’s not.

I’m also a “lone wolf” (so I can sound cool) I prefer to be alone. So I suppose any woman I date would have to be okay with me not being all interested in her family. I’d like to create my own family with a wife and kids. But I’m not interested in mixing families and all that shit. Absolutely not. It’s too much for me I cannot stand it.

Maybe I will be alone forever in that case. Oh well.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he said he never wants to meet them that would be a reason for pause but picking you up at your house and having to go through parents when you are over 18 isn't that big of a stretch. He said he didn't want to meet them "yet". If he is grown and out on his own it may be odd to still have to go pick up someone who still lives with their parents.

The dad may want to give his "what are your intentions with my daughter" speech. You guys aren't in high school anymore, he may consider those days behind him. He said "yet" so I wouldn't push it now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do something fun hang out more he is scared make him feel comfortable

1|0
    0|0
  • Just ask him why he feels that way to be sure.
    Like you said, don’t push his boundaries if he’s not comfortable.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well if you want to get away for a bit maybe me an you can hang out like go to the movies or something what ever you want to do

• He is smart parents are judgmental especially mothers now if i have a girlfriend i would never meet her mother unless we are getting married!!

0|0
    1|0
  • Listen you are rushing things, confronting parents should be mutual don't push it on him

0|1
    0|0
  • He isn't as committed into this as you think. That's my bet

1|0
    0|0
  • It's possible he has something to hide or just looking for one thing... Meeting parents adds some accountability to the mix

0|0
    0|1
  • Too early wait til 6 to see if the relationship lasts. Don't rush anything in a relationship, that's when it starts to falls apart.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he dosn't like you as you have dont stay With him this first. And than you can tell you parents about him good and everyday

0|0
    0|0
  • Hangl loose a bit, but he probably is not planning on sticking around, OR he really likes you and is very insecure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well meeting parents shouldn't be a great deal for you, just do it when he's ready. Pushing him will only create tension between you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think that for him its a serious relationship yet , 2 months are not that enough because you dont know if you two will get a long term relationship or not. Its better to wait , maybe he doesn't want to give you hopes by coming at you and then to tell you why he doesn't want that.

From my experience.

My boyfriend asked me to meet my parents and he did it and they get along really good. He met them when we were about 6 months together. Now we are for 2 years.

I met his family at that time too. And they were ok.

Maybe. Your boyfriend is scared that your parents won't like him. You know?

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably a really shy guy or afraid to be judged by your parents maby?

0|0
    0|0
  • Give it some time and take it easy, don't rush it...

0|0
    0|0
  • He isn't interested in a long-term relationship currently.
    Maybe soon or maybe never.

0|0
    0|0
  • Two months... You are moving fast... Don't worry, him meeting your will come later naturally.

0|0
    0|0
  • He needs time or he is not sure if you are the one...

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months is little time to start worrying about him not wanting to go futher. If he introduces you to hia firends and sister that means he wants his world to get to know you. Probably it's just about being shy, because he might be feeling the pressure of being judged by your parents about him being worth you. So you know, just enjoy your relation, from time to time touch that topic and tell him how much that matters to you. And most likely, he will eventually want to meet the parents of his beloved girlfriend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don’t stress. I think it’s totally fine!

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months is far too soon.

1|0
    0|0
  • i think someone is shy

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months are too soon

0|0
    0|0
  • Bring your parents to him